To download a PDF version of the map, click here.
Many plays and musical performances take place at Whitman's outdoor amphitheatre. It's also a wonderful place for studying or quiet reflection.
Anderson Hall houses mostly first-year students. Anderson features a large central lounge with floor-to-ceiling windows, a fireplace, and a big backyard complete with a sand volleyball court.
Ankeny Field is a gathering place for students. It's used as a sporting field and a place to study and hang out with friends.
The Asian Studies House is a residential house affiliated with the Chinese and Asian Studies departments and is assigned an adviser from the Chinese department.
The Asian Studies House has moved to 20 Merriam St., as of the 2016-2017 academic year.
The Athletics Fields are located about three blocks north of Whitman's campus, next to DeSales High School and at the end of Penrose Street.
Baker Center is home to the Alumni Relations and Annual Giving offices. Dining services are offered during the academic year to faculty and staff members and their guests.
The Baker Ferguson Fitness Center is a 38,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art facility which is open to Whitman students, faculty and staff members, and alumni.
The Beta Theta Pi chapter at Whitman College was founded in 1913. The chapter house was built in 1938 and houses approximately 24 students.
Borleske Stadium is home to Whitman College's baseball team. The stadium was named for legendary athlete and coach Raymond V. Borleske '10.
The staff members of Whitman's Office of Communications work in Boyer House. Mailing Services is located on the ground floor.
The Bracher Observatory, which is 9 miles north of town on Erickson Farm, has a 16-inch Newtonian telescope.
The Bratton Tennis Center, named in honor of former Whitman College president Walter A. Bratton, has four indoor tennis courts.
College House is a residence hall available to sophomores, juniors, and seniors. It houses approximately 35 students.
The Community Service Interest House focuses on promoting community service to Whitman students. The house has five bedrooms and houses an average of seven residents and one resident assistant.
A beautiful, park-like location along College Creek near Penrose House. It is often referred to as "Narnia."
Cordiner Hall is the main auditorium for the Whitman campus. The building is used for ceremonies, speeches, and performances.
The Dance Studio serves as both a classroom and a performance space for Whitman's dance program.
Das Deutsche Haus (The German House) has five bedrooms and comfortably houses an average of seven residents, one Resident Assistant, and a language assistant. This house focuses on German culture-oriented interests.
Douglas Hall, named for Supreme Court justice and Whitman alumnus William O. Douglas, is a residence hall for upperclass students. There are 10 single rooms available in the hall, and nine suites which house eight students each. Each suite has two bathrooms, a kitchenette, lounge, and laundry facilities.
The Environmental House, more commonly known as the “Outhouse,” has six bedrooms and houses an average of eight residents and one Resident Assistant. The Outhouse focuses on environmental and ecological issues and spearheads the campus’ recycling program.
The Fine Arts House (FAH) has four bedrooms and houses an average of six to eight residents and one Resident Assistant. The residents of the Fine Arts House work to promote programs emphasizing studio art, theatre, and music.
The Fouts Center for the Visual Arts is a 38,000-square-foot facility that provides space for the college's visual arts program. Fouts has studio space for different disciplines, a digital arts lab, student studio spaces, and a gallery where student work is often exhibited.
The Global Awareness House has four bedrooms and houses an average of five residents and one Resident Assistant. Residents of the Global Awareness House focus on raising campus awareness about world issues such as hunger, population, and human rights.
The Glover Alston Center provides a safe space for meaningful conversation and interaction to facilitate Whitman’s commitment to sustaining a diverse community. Many programs that are sponsored by the Intercultural Center and various student groups take place at the GAC.
The Hall of Music features Chism Recital Hall, a 300-seat performance space, as well as a listening center, an electronic music studio, 14 teaching studios, and 25 practice rooms.
The Hall of Science houses the departments of astronomy, biology, chemistry, geology and physics. Facilities include a roof-top garden, a greenhouse, Brattain Auditorium, an astronomy observation lab, and state-of-the art science equipment such as a scanning electron microscope and confocal microscope.
The Harper Joy Theatre has two performance spaces, the 310-seat Alexander Stage and the Freimann Studio Theatre. HJT also has an acting studio which serves as its primary acting classroom, a scene shop, a design classroom and computer lab, and a costume shop.
Hunter Conservatory houses the 75-seat Kimball Auditorium as well as offices for Whitman's Film and Media Studies professors.
Jewett Hall is a traditional residence hall which houses approximately 170 first year students. It has spacious lounges with kitchen space, a recreation room, a dining hall, and a free laundry room.
La Casa Hispana (The Spanish House) has five bedrooms and houses an average of seven residents and one Resident Assistant. A native speaker also resides in La Casa.
La Maison Française (The French House) has seven bedrooms and comfortably houses an average of eight to nine residents, one Resident Assistant, and a native speaker.
Lakum Duckum is a pond located between Maxey Hall and Mem which is heated by a nearby geothermal spring. Stone benches provide a peaceful place to relax or study.
Lyman House is a mixed-class residence hall with two-room suites. Lyman houses 89 students.
Marcus House is a residence hall that houses up to 27 upper-class students. The house has single, double and triple rooms.
The MECCA (Multi-Ethnic Center for Cultural Affairs) House has four bedrooms and comfortably houses an average of four residents and one Resident Assistant. This house focuses on raising diversity awareness on Whitman's campus by celebrating and promoting different cultures.
Maxey Hall houses the social sciences, a natural history and anthropology museum, and a 350-seat auditorium.
Whitman College's main administrative building, also known as "Mem," is the oldest building on campus. Mem serves as the administrative hub for the college.
North Hall is a residence hall choice for up to 70 new, returning, and transfer students who like the feel of a residential neighborhood but still enjoy being part of a larger living community.
Olin Hall is where most mathematics and humanities classes take place. Olin Hall is also home to the Sheehan Art Gallery and an auditorium.
Whitman's organic garden was created in 1997 by four students. The garden is a space dedicated to spiritual renewal, meaningful labor, community vitality, and sharing healthy practices of cultivating the land. An ASWC sponsored club maintains the garden and organizes events to open the space up to everyone.
The outdoor tennis courts are located between the Memorial Building and Maxey Hall.
The Pacific Northwest Regional Observatory located at Braden Farm near Wallula Gap provides astronomy students the opportunity to use a 30-inch Cassegrain telescope.
Penrose House is home to the Admission office. All campus tours start here.
Penrose Library serves as a bridge between the Whitman College community—students, faculty, administration, and staff—and the information resources that promote teaching, research and learning.
Whitman's Phi Delta Theta Chapter was established in 1914. The chapter house has a dining room, a study room and a recreation hall with a pool table and ping pong table.
The Physical Plant Services Department is located on Penrose Avenue north of Isaacs. The department is responsible for keeping Whitman working efficiently - from cutting the grass to fixing the heating system, painting the walls to vacuuming the residence halls, and repairing vehicles.
Prentiss is an all-women's residence hall that features an attractive arrangement of inner and outer rooms for all doubles, many study rooms, and an AV seminar room. About 145 women live here including sorority members and new students.
Whitman College's Campus Center is one of the hubs of campus life. It has a cafe, an espresso cart, a tv lounge, and more. The Bookstore, Outdoor Program Rental Shop, Stevens Art Gallery, radio station and Campus Post Office are all located in Reid, as are several administrative offices and student offices.
The Sherwood Athletic Center features a main gym, a multipurpose use space, racquetball courts, and more. The 71,000-square-foot center also has a state-of-the-art indoor climbing wall, team locker room space for varsity programs, and modern athletic training room facilities.
Sherwood House was built in 1922. The house was acquired by Whitman College, and became the residence of the President of Whitman College in 1995.
The Gamma Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Chi was formally installed as a chapter of Sigma Chi at Whitman in 1923.
Tamarac House, a three-story apartment building turned residence hall, is a gateway to the world of nature. Perched on the corner of Park and Main, Tamarac is home to 20 students with a deep and abiding love for outdoor adventure.
The Alpha Theta Chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon was founded at Whitman College in 1930.
Tekisuijuku (Japanese House) has five bedrooms and comfortably houses an average of five residents, one Resident Assistant and a native speaker. This house focuses on Japanese-oriented interests.
The Welty Student Health Center is a full-service clinic with 12 overnight beds and a nursing staff. A physician is available for examinations and consultations.
The Writing House provides a strong creative atmosphere for students to live together and improve their writing abilities. The house has four bedrooms with space for an average of six residents and one Resident Assistant.