Regulatory Advising

The International Student Adviser works closely with incoming and returning students regarding the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) regulatory concerns.  Adhering to current and evolving legal regulations is critical for students throughout their time in the United States.  Counseling is provided for F-1 and J-1 students and scholars about maintenance of legal non-immigrant status, travel, employment authorization, resources for tax issues, etc.

Kyle Martz

International Student & Scholar Adviser, PDSO/RO

(509) 527-5001

Sonja Aikens

Administrative Assistant

(509) 527-5596

International Services and Programs

Orientation Camp (O-Camp) for International and U.S. Binational Students, which is held three days before New Student Orientation.  At O-Camp, you will meet and interact with other new students; meet with important resource people; see the campus; receive Immigration and Customs Enforcement regulatory information; gain valuable tips that can lead to academic success; discuss details about U.S. American culture; and of course, HAVE FUN!

Regulatory Advising on issues that relate to the benefits and limitations of your non-immigrant student status in the U.S. (i.e. tax compliance, employment and practical training, driver's license or Washington State I.D. cards).

Personal, cross cultural and academic advising and referral - Please call x5596 to make an appointment in the IC.  Office hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

The Friendship Family Program matches international students with an individual or family in Walla Walla.  The program offers the support of a "family away from home" and the chance to experience U.S. American culture beyond campus.

Global Whitties - This optional program, which is coordinated through the IC, matches new incoming international students with returning international and domestic students.  This is a student-led peer mentor program with a focus on facilitating community-building for new international students on campus.  If interested, please contact Wenjun Gao '17 at

Academic Break Activities - Because we know you may be staying on campus during some college breaks and vacation periods, the IC offers a variety of break activities.

Online Resources

What to Bring With You to College
Campus Life
Student Handbook - Living and Learning   
International Orientation

Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security

International Student Health Insurance
International Student Insurance
BCAA Travel Insurance (Canada)

Currency Exchange Rates

United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)
Main Homepage

Obtaining a Visa
U.S. Visas - U.S. Department of State
How to Apply for a Visa

Hostelling International USA

Tax Information and Forms (1040NREZ)