Updating Windows 7
How do I install updates?
- Click your Start orb (bottom-left) and type Windows Update in the 'Search programs and files' field. Select it when it becomes listed under 'Programs.'
- Once Windows Update opens, click the Check for updates option in the left menu. You will be provided with a list of available updates.
- If you would like to know more about each one, click the # important updates are available or # optional updates are available link. This will give you a list of the update names and a description of each. Check the ones you wish to install.
- If there are important updates available, be sure to install them. It is not crucial that you install optional updates.
- When you are ready, click the Install updates button. You may be prompted to restart your computer.
How do I check to see if a specific update has been installed?
- In the Windows Update panel described above, click View update history. Verify that the specific update is listed in the resulting update history list.
How do I set my operating system to update automatically?
- Under Windows update, click
Change Settings on the left menu. You should see a screen similar to the one below:
- We recommend that you Install Updates Automatically. Be sure to choose an install time during a time that your computer is usually on.
- After you have selected the desired update procedure, make sure that both the Recommended updates and Give me updates for Microsoft products checkboxes are checked. This will ensure you receive the necessary updates for the newest security risks.
- Click OK.
Note: the automatic downloads are for critical updates and security patches only. This will not automatically install optional patches or driver updates. If you want those to be installed, you still have to run Windows Update manually.