Connecting to Goprint with Windows 7, 8 & 10
Note : Before you attempt to add a printer, make sure that you are connected to the on-campus Whitman network, either via ethernet or wirelessly.
Standard GoPrint Connection
- Click on the Start button in the toolbar
- In the search field at the bottom enter \goprint.whitman.edu
- Find the printer you would like to install from the resulting list.
Right or Double Click on that printer and select
- If a message pops up warning you that the printer will install a driver on your computer, select Install Driver (Note: If you recieve an error message at this point, see below)
- Give permission to continue
- You should now be connected to the printer.
When you are connected to the Whitman Wireless Network (whitman_secure), you can print to the installed printer by selecting
Print and choosing the printer from the list provided.
You may also set the printer to be your default printer by going to Control Panel -> Printer, then right clicking on that printer and selecting Set as Default Printer. Then whenever you print using a print button or icon, the information will automatically print to that printer.
If the standard connection method doesn't work, the next step would be to try the alternative, direct-connection method.
If the previous method doesn't work, this is an alternative way of connecting to a GoPrint printer. Note that you must already have the proper printer driver downloaded and installed for this method to work.
Before you begin, find the name and model of the printer you would like to install by logging into GoPrint and finding the printer in the Printer Directory tab (which located in the top menu bar of GoPrint).
- Select the Windows Start button and choose Devices and Printers
- Choose Add a Printer (top of window)
- Select Add a local printer
- Select Create a new port and Choose Local Port from drop down menu
- Choose Next
- For the port name, enter the following with " Name_of_printer " replaced by the printer you are adding: \goprint.whitman.edu Name_of_printer
- Find the
Printer Model and choose the
PCL 6 version of the driver.
- If you do not see your printer model, select Windows Update to download an updated set of drivers from Microsoft.
- You can also find and download the drivers you need from HP's website. In this case, once the drivers are downloaded and extracted, chooe Have Disk to point the wizard at said drivers.
- Type your printer name and choose Next
Wait until Windows finishes installing your printer.
Install the GoPrint desktop client
You can optionally install the GoPrint desktop client, which provides an interface to the GoPrint web site.
- Log in to GoPrint at https://goprint.whitman.edu:7773/.
- Locate the For Your Desktop box in the bottom right-hand corner.
- Download and run the Windows installer.