Custom lists are lists that may be set up by any member of the Whitman community. These lists are targeted towards more specific audiences than the standard campus lists. Many clubs, organizations, and classes choose to create custom lists to distribute information to anyone involved or interested in their group.
Creating a Custom List
Creating a custom list may be done quickly and easily.
Note: If you wish to change the "types" after your list has been created, contact the WCTS helpdesk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Log in to the "Request New Mailing List" page. This should bring you to a new page where you can assign a name and owner to the new list, as well as assign several "types" to your new list. These "types" (Public/Private, User/Moderated, Digest, Archive) may not be changed by the list owner after the creation of your list.
- After you have filled out the data, click "Request a New List". This will send in a list request. You should receive an email in 1-2 days containing a summary of the details of your new list.
- After you receive the confirmation message, your list has been created. The list owner will now be able to manage your list.
Types of Lists
There are several options when choosing types for a new list. You can decide how much control the owner of the list has over posts to the list and the addition of new members, as well as whether or not the list has a digest or archive.
- Public: Allows anyone to send a message to the list, regardless of whether the sender has subscribed to the list (not recommended).
- Private: Only members of the list may post to the list.
- User: Allows anyone to add or remove themselves from the list.
- Moderated: Anyone being added to or removed from the list must be approved by the list owner.
- User: Anyone allowed to send a message may without approval.
- Moderated: All posts must be approved by the list owner.
Setting a list to "Digest Subscription Enabled" means that users have the option of choosing whether or not they wish to receive the list in digest form (a daily summary message including all the posts to the list during the last 24 hours). Setting the list to "Digest Not Available" means that users will not be able to receive the list in digest form.
Setting a list to "No Archive" means that no one has access to the list archive. Setting the list to either of the "Archive Enabled" options allows the indicated user(s) to access the archive. If access is granted, an archive may be accessed by sending a message to email@example.com, where listname is the name of the list. Substitute the range of posts that you want to access in for 101_200 (this example would return messages 101-200).
When you create a new list, you may assign a list owner. The list owner has the ability to manage the list. This allows the owner to add and remove members, manage posts, and make changes to the list settings.
Note: When a list owner graduates or leaves Whitman, it is important to pass on ownership priveledges. This can be done by going to the "Manage Your Mailing Lists" page. At the bottom of this page, there is a link to "Add/Delete List Owners". Click this and enter the new owner's E-mail address in the box as indicated.
Adding and Removing Members
To add or remove members from the list, go to the Manage Your Mailing Lists page.
- To add subscribers, click the "Add Subscribers" button at the bottom of the page. Enter the E-mail addresses of all subscribers that you would like to add, as indicated. After you have entered all of the addresses that you would like to add, click the "Add Subscribers" button at the bottom of the page.
- To remove subscribers, click the "Delete Subscribers" button at the bottom of the specific lists management page. Enter the E-mail addresses of the subscribers that you would like to delete into the box, as indicated. After you have entered all addresses, click the "Delete Subscribers" button at the bottom of the page.