LDAP in Outlook Express
- Open Outlook Express and click on the Tools menu and select Accounts
- Click the Add button and then select Directory Service from the drop down menu that appears
- In the Online Directory (LDAP) Server box, enter ldap.whitman.edu
- Make sure the My LDAP server requires me to log on box is NOT checked
- Click Next
- At the next screen, leave No selected and click Next
- Click Finish to complete your setup
Configuring the Online Directory
- In the window which pops up click once on the ldap.whitman.edu account (This may be labeled differently depending on if you changed the label of the server earlier)
- Click on the Properties button to the right
- At the bottom of the General tab there is a box you can check for Check names against this server when sending mail. Leave this box unchecked.
- At the top of the window click on the Advanced tab
- In the field labeled Search Base type ou=People, dc=whitman, dc=edu. Those settings allow Outlook to search for the addresses of Students, Faculty, and Staff at Whitman.
Using the Online Directory with Outlook Express
Begin composing a new message, type a last name in the To: field and click on the Check button in the menu bar above the composition window. Outlook Express will display a dialog asking you to pick from a list of everyone who shares that last name. Once you select the person you want to send your E-mail to and click OK, Outlook Express will automatically enter that person's email address in the To: field. You can also search for first names or partial E-mail addresses.