Transferring Email to Mac Mail's Local Folders
Install and Configure Mac Mail
Before you can do anything else, you'll need to set-up Mac Mail with your Whitman email account. Once this is done, you'll be able to follow the rest of the instructions on this page.
Cleanup Your Whitman Email AccountOnce you have set up your Whitman account in Mac Mail you can proceed to create local folders on your computer's hard drive to download your emails to. This will allow you to keep your various emails when your Whitman account is deleted.
- Go through the emails that you have in your Whitman email account and delete any unnecessary emails that you don't want to save. This will make the transfer easier and also take up less space. Once you have deleted any emails that you don't want to keep empty the Trash on your Whitman account.
- To empty the Trash within Mac Mail right click on the Trash icon (if you don't have right click abilities set up on your Mac, hold down the CTL key while clicking normally.) Once you have the right-click menu open, in the third subsection down is an option entitled "Empty Deleted Messages..." A dialog box will appear asking you if you really want to empty the messages, select "OK."
Create Local Folders in Mac Mail
- Next you will create local folders on your computer within Mac Mail. To do this go to the bottom right corner of the column labeled "Mailboxes" on the left side of the main Mail window. There will be a plus sign there.
- Click on the plus sign. You will be given three options, New Mailbox..., New Smart Mailbox... and Add RSS Feeds...
- Select "New Mailbox" from the list. Under the Location drop down menu, select "On My Mac." Then give the folder a title that will help you remember what you have put in the folder.
- You can create multiple folders if you choose to, by repeating one through three above.
- If you would like to create sub-folders when you reach the Location drop down menu described in step three, simply select one of the folders located below the "On My Mac" option and you will be able to create a sub-folder within that folder. Just remember that a main folder with subfolders in it can not also hold emails. Once you have created a folder with subfolders the main folder can no longer contain emails. The subfolders that you place within the parent folder then contain the emails.
- When you have created all of the necessary folders in the "On My Mac" section of your Mac Mail program. Click on the folder under your your Whitman email account that contains the messages you would like to move. Select all the messages and drag and drop them into the folders you created under the "On My Mac" section . This will remove them from the Whitman email servers and save them permanently on your computer for you to look at when you need to.