What are ResNet Assistants?
These are Consultants who specifically act as on-site tech-support staff in the Residence Halls. Their purpose is to provide focused support for your ResNet connection, rather than the more general support offered by our Lab Consultants.
What we CAN do:
- Troubleshoot your ethernet network connection.
- Offer suggestions for improving wireless reception. WiFi is available in all Residence Halls, but we can't guarantee perfect reception in every location. There may be "dead spots", but we can help you try to avoid them..
- Assist setup of client-side software to connect to Whitman's network resources, such as email or netFiles.
- Offer general advice and answer any questions you may have.
What we CAN'T do:
- Troubleshoot or replace any hardware not related to your network connection.
- Troubleshoot any software or network resources not directly supported by WCTS.
- Guarantee perfect wireless network connectivity. Our wireless coverage is still expanding, and now covers all Residence Halls. However, as previously noted, there may be "dead spots". We may not be able to fix a "dead spot", but we can help you avoid them.
- Support external networking equipment (ex: routers, wireless access points, etcetera). Connecting such devices to the ResNet is in violation of the WCTS Terms of Service, so you shouldn't be using them anyway.
A few of our Consultants may provide some of the services listed above not supported by WCTS, but they do so independently as freelance technicians. WCTS does not support or service personally-owned machines.