Image assets including files like .jpgs and .pngs can be uploaded into the Documents folder within the asset manager. Ingeniux contains a server where all assets are stored. These assets can be used by the Whitman websites and the image links won't change.
Completely deleting a document from the website, or replacing it with a newer version with the same file name, will usually require a full publish in order completely remove it from the website and the search function. Request a full publish.
Recommended image file sizes:
In order to keep load times to a minimum for users regardless of their internet speed, certain file sizes are recommended. The target file sizes:
- less than 200KB for a full-size (or full-page) image that is between 900px and 1024px.
- less than 50KB image between 400px to 900px.
- less than 20KB image less than 400px wide.
Images that are too large will take longer to download, which makes for a poor experience for people using slow internet connections or mobile devices. Downloading large images can eat through a cellular data plan very quickly. This doesn't just apply to the live web page itself; having multiple large images in an Ingeniux assets folder can also significantly slow that down as well, making it difficult to navigate the folder and find assets.
File sizes and comparisons:
- Byte (B)=1 byte
- Kilobyte (KB)=1000 bytes
- Megabyte (MB)=1000KB
- Gigabyte (GB)=1000 MB, or 1,000,000,000 B
To find the file size of your image:
On a Mac:
- Open "Finder."
- In the menu bar, change the view to "List."
- Next to "Date Modified," the size will be listed for the selected file.
On a PC:
- Locate the file you want to check the size of.
- Right-click on the file, then select "Properties" from the menu.
- A secondary window will appear with details about the file, including its size.
To resize images in Ingeniux:
- Find the folder you need and the image.
- Double click on the image.
- Check the image out to edit it.
- Click on "Edit Image".
- In the designer toolbar, select "Resize."
- Select the option you want the image contained by. (height, weight, or none)
- Input the desired image size into the height and width options.
- Click on "Resize."
- Once you are finished with the image, click "Save" or "Save As."
- Check the image in.
Never use spaces or special characters in filenames, as different web browsers and operating systems can interpret spaces differently which can lead to problems. Dashes (-) and underscores (_) are acceptable. This applies to any and all files uploaded to the assets manager.