Climate Action Plan Updates
Climate Action Plan and Sustainability Timeline:
- July 2016: Installation of building Sub Metering in Jewett Hall and Olin Hall
- April 2017: Whitman College was admitted to the EPA Green Power Partnership for 2017. The college was also designated as a member of the Green Power Leadership Club in addition to utilizing the most green power in the Northwest Conference. Within 2017 the college generated 26,547 kWh of on site solar power. The college also offset 100% of its electricity use with the purchase of 17,073 mWh of Green-E Certified American Wind Energy RECs.
- May 2016: Society of Physics students begun conversion of a 1986 Chevy S10 into an electric truck for the Zero Waste Program.
- May 2016- December 2017: The Climate Action Task force endorsed the creation of a campus Set Point Policy. The Set Point policy was implemented in December of 2016.
- February 2017: Whitman College receives a Silver rating from the Sustainable Tracking and Rating System by the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education.
- March 2017: Campus hosted first Mt. Trashmore waste diversion event.
- May 2017: PSAC endorsed the adoption of a Campus Idling Policy
- May 2017: In 2017 the ASWC Student Senate and President's Sustainability Advisory Board endorsed SRS17.2 and the adoption of the ASWC Zero Waste Plan.
- June 2017: LED Lighting Retrofit of Baker Faculty Center conducted by Office of Sustainability
- June 2017: Construction began on new Dining Hall and Residence Hall the campuses first buildings specifically built to meet LEED building standards. They will also include the 116kw of solar panels the first constructed on campus since 2009.
- July 2017: Whitman College continued its dedication to carbon neutrality purchasing 17,400 mWh of Green-E Certified American Wind Energy RECs. This offset 100% of all campus electricity use. The college additional purchased 1,251 mtCO2e in verified emissions reductions.
- August 2017: New Campus Waste standard adopted with role out of Zero Waste Stations in Olin transitioned.
- August 2017: Recycling waste containers were placed in all classrooms in Maxey and Olin Halls.
- August 2017: Institution ranked 200 out of 227 institutions by Sierra Club Cool Schools
- September 2017: Completion of Campus Wind Turbine Display
- September 2017: Whitman College received the Smart Business Partner Award from the Walla Walla Valley Chamber of Commerce for Sustainability Efforts.
- September 2017: Whitman College included in Princeton Reviews Guide to 375 Green Schools