Virtual Campus Participation Guidelines
As we — students, faculty, staff, roommates, families and friends alike — are scattered across the world or isolated at home, the significance of and need for community is becoming ever more apparent. The Whitman Virtual Campus is one way of responding to this need. For it to achieve its purpose, however, we ask that participants adhere to the following guidelines:
This platform is meant to be a tool and a home for all Whitties. So that this remains a welcoming and supportive community, please remember to:
- Treat others online as you would treat them in real life
- Communicate with courtesy and respect
- Refrain from posting content that is libelous, harassing, discriminatory, or obscene. If you have a question or concern about whether to post something, always feel free to shoot us an email!
To help promote ownership and intimacy, please do not contribute anonymously. If we hope to replicate the kind of dialogue we strive to cultivate on campus, we must bring our full selves to the conversation and take ownership of our words/actions/ideas.
Life is changing dramatically, often on a day to day basis. Amidst this instability, it is easy to assume the worst of others and lay blame on everyone but ourselves. In order for this platform to succeed, however, we must strive to be gentle with one another and have patience. To do so, please:
- Give grace to others on this platform
- Give grace to yourself and do what is best for you; we cannot come together in community unless we are willing to take the time and tend our own garden first.
- Give grace to those who are trying to create this platform. We are doing everything we are able to make this space the best it can be, but we, too, are struggling to stay afloat in our own ways. We are volunteers who are not getting paid to do this work so be patient; this platform is a work in progress. If you see something that could be improved, let us know and help us make it better.
This can only happen if you help make it happen! Spread the word, volunteer to host a workshop, bring in new ideas. This is an incredible opportunity to create an entirely new kind of education. Think outside the box and help us make this into the kind of educational tool you want it to be.