Whitman College Technology Services (WCTS) is here to assist students with all their on-campus technology needs.
If you need assistance with technology, please contact the Technology Services Help Desk at email@example.com or call 509-527-4976. The WCTS offices are at 416 E. Main St. The offices are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to noon and 1-5 p.m.
Here are a few important things for new students to know.
The first step to becoming a Whitman College student is activating your Whitman accounts.
- Go to whit.mn/acct.
- Read through the Acceptable Use Policy.
- Enter your first name, last name and Whitman ID number (also known as your WID#) in the boxes provided. Your ID number can be found on the front of the orientation booklet you'll receive in the mail in June.
- Write down the username and temporary password. WARNING: Once you go past the screen with your user name and password, you cannot go back. Please write it down.
- Click the given link to change your initial password.
- Your new password must:
- Be at least 8 characters long.
- Contain at least one lower case letter, one uppercase letter, and one number or symbol.
- Note: No one else can access your password. If you forget it, email firstname.lastname@example.org to have it reset.
Whitman's email system, Whitmail, is run by the Google platform. You can access email, Google Drive and Google Apps through the Whitmail system.
- Go to whitmail.whitman.edu.
- Log in with the Whitman username and password you set above.
All Whitman students can download up to 10 individual licenses of Office 365 for your personal computer and smart devices. To access your free software, go to https://portal.office.com and sign in with your Whitman email and password. Follow the link to download and install your programs.
All student printing on campus is administered through a program called GoPrint. To be able to print from your personal computer, you will need to set up the various printers on campus.
Tech Services will be available in the lobby of most residence halls from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. during move-in to help you configure your computer or pick up a flyer for self-help instructions before classes begin. You can also call the Help Desk at 509-527-4976 or email email@example.com to arrange another time.
Technology Services Locations
- Technology Services Help Desk: Located in the Technology Services Center, 416 E. Main St. The Help Desk is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to noon and 1-5 p.m.
- Tech Desk Penrose Library: Open Sunday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to midnight and Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Tech Desk has Mac, PC and Chromebook laptops available for checkout, as well as Mac chargers. These items are available for checkout for four hours at a time and only for use while in the library.
- Computer Labs: There are desktop computers available for student use in Maxey Hall, the Hall of Science, Penrose Library, Olin Hall (2nd floor lounge and East wing outside of the tea room) and in the Multimedia Development Lab, located in the basement of Hunter Conservatory.
- Instructional & Multimedia Services (IMS): Located on the main level of Hunter Conservatory, IMS checks out video cameras, microphones and other A/V equipment for student project use.
Technology to Bring
If you plan on bringing a computer, printer or other tech devices to campus, here are a few things to know:
- Selecting a computer: Most students opt for a laptop for mobility. Be sure to check for educational discounts through the manufacturer's website. It is highly recommended that you purchase the extended warranty to avoid any unexpected repair costs.
- Printer: You will not need to bring a personal printer unless you want one in your room. If you do bring a printer, it needs a USB connection. Wireless printers cannot be registered on the Whitman network. Printers are available for student use in all of the campus computer labs and Penrose Library.
- Wireless routers and modems: These devices are not allowed on the Whitman network. There are wireless access points all over campus and ethernet ports in every room in the residence halls for student use.
- Apple TV, Chromecast, Smart TVs, other network devices: Most will work and can be registered on the Whitman network if they have a MAC (hardware) address. However, be aware that Chromecast sticks will not work.