Beware Email Scams
Beware Email Spammers and Scammers!
It’s come to our attention that some incoming Whitman College students have received spam email messages about job, research and internship opportunities—asking for personal information and replies. They often include language to make you think the email is coming from a trusted entity inside the Whitman Community. The sender often asks for a return message—if someone replies, the scammer then attempts further communication.
These messages are not legitimate. Do NOT respond to them with any personal information. Our practice when working with faculty, alumni or employers interested in hiring Whitman students is to direct them to post their openings in Handshake. The Handshake platform has several processes in place to prevent scammers from reaching you.
When It’s Too Good To Be True
It’s good to be skeptical when you receive email messages that seem "out of context" or that request personal information. Here are few safety steps:
- Check the actual from address—to see that it makes sense. Don’t always rely on the displayed name of the sender.
- If you don't know the sender—avoid sending any personal information—especially in email replies.
- Be cautious of messages that imply a sense of urgency or ask for something out of the ordinary.
- Hover over hyperlinks to see where they might take you, but don’t open the links.
- Avoid opening attachments you are not expecting.
Students should use Handshake as a resource for finding campus and off-campus employment opportunities. Any questions about the validity of a posted opening can be directed to the Career and Community Engagement Center.
Whitman College Technology Services maintains an email address for these types of messages: firstname.lastname@example.org. Forward any suspicious messages there.
You can also contact the WCTS Help Desk email@example.com, the Career and Community Engagement Center firstname.lastname@example.org or the Information Security Office email@example.com if you have any questions about these types of emails.