Tech Tips for New Students
Whitman College Technology Services (WCTS) is here to assist students with all their on-campus and online learning technology needs.
If you need assistance, please contact the Technology Services Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 509-527-4976. The WCTS offices are at 416 E. Main St. The offices are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to noon and 1-5 p.m. *Summer Hours Mary Vary
For technology assistance specific to online learning, see the Online Learning Resources webpage.
Here are a few important resources – and helpful things for new students to know.
The first step to becoming a Whitman College student is activating your Whitman accounts.
- Go to whit.mn/acct.
- Read through the Acceptable Use Policy.
- Enter your first name, last name and Whitman ID number (also known as your WID#) in the boxes provided. Your ID number can be found on the front of the orientation booklet you'll receive in the mail in June.
- Write down the username and temporary password. WARNING: Once you go past the screen with your user name and password, you cannot go back. Please write it down.
- Click the given link to change your initial password.
- Your new password must:
- Be at least 8 characters long.
- Contain at least one lower case letter, one uppercase letter, and one number or symbol.
- Note: No one else can access your password. If you forget it, email email@example.com to have it reset.
Whitman's email system, Whitmail, is run by the Google platform. You can access email, Google Drive and Google Apps through the Whitmail system.
To log in:
- Go to whitmail.whitman.edu.
- Log in with the Whitman username and password you set above.
Whitman highly recommends that you have a computer and other related items for your education.
All Whitman students can download up to 10 individual licenses of Office 365 for your personal computer and smart devices. To access your free software, go to https://portal.office.com and sign in with your Whitman email and password. Follow the link to download and install your programs.
- Technology Services Help Desk: Located in the Technology Services Center, 416 E. Main St. The Help Desk is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to noon and 1-5 p.m. * Summer Hours May Vary
- Computer Labs: There are desktop computers available for student use in Maxey Hall, Penrose Library, Olin Hall (2nd floor lounge and East wing outside of the tea room) and in the Multimedia Development Lab, located in the basement of Hunter Conservatory.
- Instructional & Multimedia Services (IMS): Located on the main level of Hunter Conservatory, IMS checks out video cameras, microphones and other A/V equipment for student project use.