As an international student you may be receiving payments that are subject to income tax withholding. For example:

  • wages from your on-campus employment
  • the part of financial aid that covers room and board expenses
  • earnings from CPT / OPT employment

Financial aid that covers tuition and college fees is (fortunately!) exempt from income tax in the U.S.

Income tax withholding determination

So, how much money will be taken from your payments? This depends on the type/source of income, your nationality, applicable international tax treaties, the length of your stay in the U.S. and a few additional factors. It is a very complex process and you can expect between 0 to 30% of your income withheld towards federal income tax. In the worst case scenario you will earn $1000 but receive only $700 to your bank account.

It is in your interest that Whitman's payroll office understand your personal tax situation well. This is why we provide you with Tax Determination System (TDS) account and ask you to keep your tax TDS profile updated.

Completing your TDS profile is relatively easy. It will provide Whitman's payroll office with information to estimate your tax withholding at the most appropriate level, so that you do not over or underpay your income taxes by very large amounts.

Example: currently (2021) financial aid covering full living expenses on campus is valued at $13,800. If you do not complete TDS profile, the college will ask you to pay income tax at 30%, that is $4,140 - a very large amount! However, if you complete your TDS profile and "register" for applicable tax treaties, you can reduce the tax to 14% ($1,932) or even less. You register for tax treaty by downloading 8233 form upon completion of your TDS profile and mailing it to the IRS with the help of your DSO.

Federal Income Tax Filing (aka Tax Returns)

Every year, typically between early February and April 15, hundreds of millions of Americans file their tax returns to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Now you will too — welcome to America!

As you have just learned above, tax withholding is just a rough estimate. It is likely that too much money is still taken from your paycheck. It is less likely but certainly possible that not enough is taken.

The purpose of tax filing is to document to the IRS that you either paid too much (and request a refund - good day!) or that you perhaps did not pay enough and must send additional payments to the IRS (bad, bad day...).

Preparing the required documentation is very complex. This is why Whitman College provides access to online tax preparation services from Sprintax Tax Prep to assist you. Once students have received their income statements from their U.S. employer(s) in January and February, our ISSS office will inform you about tax filing workshops. These workshops will introduce the website and its services.

Who needs to file a tax return?

YOU! All non-resident alien students on F-1 visa must file. If you receive no income you still must file one simple form called 8433 to notify the IRS on your current tax residency status. Sprintax Tax Prep will help with this as well.

Two online tax related systems: Sprintax Tax Preparation and TDS Tax Determination System

Confused? Both of these packages are produced by Sprintax and they communicate with each other. Completing the TDS will make it much faster/easier for you to complete Tax Prep. Once more, but briefly:

TDS – you will update this “profile” every year to provide Whitman College with information about your nationality, tax residence status and some additional information that will help Whitman to set up your tax withholding at the most optimum rate.

Tax Prep – this will help you complete and file your tax return form to the IRS. This is like a report on your income and taxes paid that you send to the federal government. Based on this form the IRS may pay return some money to you if your taxes were overpaid.