The Division of Diversity & Inclusion
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion at Whitman College is responsible for championing issues of inclusion for the entire campus community in ways that promote a sense of belonging for all faculty, staff, and students. We believe that inclusion is a shared responsibility of all members within our community and that justice for all acts as the Northstar in these efforts.
- To have a campus community where inclusion and belonging drive decision-making at all levels of the college, where those decisions are supported by culturally responsive policies and practices.
- To recruit, retain, and support a campus community that is committed to promoting belonging.
- To cultivate partnerships regionally and nationally that support the shifting demographics of the campus community and adds to the continued diversification of Whitman.
Our commitment to belonging and inclusion lays a foundation for the community we are actively fostering. As a team, we value:
- Equitable representation and inclusion
- Differences in experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives
- Reflection and skill development
- Innovation, advocacy, and justice
To accomplish the departmental mission of inclusivity, we approach our work from an intersectional, data-informed, and collaborative way. We pride ourselves on working collaboratively to innovate while remaining people-centered. Programmatically we are invested in how the curricular and co-curricular experiences promote belonging, inclusion, and justice. From a practical perspective, we utilize the cultural competency continuum to support a training process that is approachable and accessible.