Princeton in Africa
National deadline: October 28, 2018 (08:59 p.m. PST)
- U.S. citizens and international students
- Graduating seniors, young alumni
Award summary and conditions: Princeton in Africa (PiAf) offers year-long fellowship opportunities through a wide range of organizations working across the African continent. PiAf fellows work in service-oriented positions in myriad fields, including humanitarian aid, public health, conservation, education and social enterprise. Benefits include:
• living expenses including housing and accommodation stipend
• group health, medical and security evacuation insurance
• pre-departure orientation for all fellows
• mid-year retreat in Africa (including partial travel grant to and from retreat)
Fellows should expect to cover the costs of:
• program placement, paid upon acceptance of a PiAf fellowship post ($350)
• transportation to/from interviews and orientation in Princeton, N.J.
• air travel to/from their fellowship post in Africa.
• pre-departure medical expenses (e.g. immunizations, malaria prevention medications, personal medications)
• in most cases, visa expenses
Note: PiAf is committed to ensuring that all applicants are able to participate in the fellowship program without regard to need. We will work with applicants to ensure that financial considerations do not prevent any applicant selected for a fellowship from participating.
Application process: online
• application form and fee
• resume (1-2 pages, including applicant email address. PDF form, file size limit 256 KB)
• current color passport-style photo (JPEG format, file size limit 256KB)
• unofficial transcript(s), uploaded
• official transcript(s)*, mailed
• etter of recommendation (submitted through LOR form)
* official transcripts must be certified, sealed and unopened. They may be mailed or sent as official electronic copies (by registrar if electronic and with no expiration code).
Selection process: Applicants invited for an interview must be available for one of the sessions in January. Interviews will be scheduled in December. Candidates who receive a fellowship placement must attend PiAf's pre-departure orientation program in June in Princeton, N.J.