Internal deadline: September 3, 2019
National deadline: September 27, 2019, 2:00 p.m. PT
Video deadline: September 30, 2019, 2:00 p.m. PT
- U.S. Citizen
- 18 years of age or older but NOT yet 30 on September 28 of the year of the application
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university before beginning study under the Mitchell Scholarship
Award summary and conditions: The George J. Mitchell Scholarship is a nationally competitive award sponsored by the US-Ireland Alliance. Named in honor of the former U.S. Senator's pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, the Mitchell is designed to introduce and connect upcoming generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to public service and community. Up to twelve Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland. The Mitchell Scholarship provides tuition, housing, a living expenses stipend, and an international travel stipend. For more information please visit: https://www.us-irelandalliance.org/mitchellscholarship/applicants/process
Application process: online
- Biographical information
- Letters of recommendation (4) - two of the letters of reference must come from persons with whom the candidate has done academic work
- Institutional endorsement (for undergraduates only)
- 1,000 word personal statement (must be certified by the applicant as wholly truthful and his or her own work)
- Short video interview (after application has been received)*
- PDF of passport-sized photo
- PDF of the applicant's signature. Sign a blank paper. Scan it. Upload that file.
- PDF containing unofficial copies of [all] an applicant's college (and graduate, when applicable) transcript[s] must be uploaded in PDF format. If a Social Security Number (SSN) is shown on transcript(s), please obscure that information. The system will accept ONE PDF file in this field for each application.
- Proposed graduate programs (3)**
*See video deadline at top of this page.
**The applicant is responsible for researching and listing at least three specific proposed graduate programs at three different universities in Ireland. The universities in Northern Island are in the mix of possible choices.
Bios of recipients: https://www.us-irelandalliance.org/mitchellscholarship/scholars/bios
Whitman internal application process: A complete application is required at the internal deadline.
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether
Internal nomination required: Yes
National committee interview: Yes
Trina Vargo, Founder & President, firstname.lastname@example.org
Carolina Chavez, Director, George Mitchell Scholarship Program, email@example.com
US-Ireland Alliance, 2800 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 305 West, Arlington, VA 22201