French Teaching Assistants (TAPIF)
Application period: October 2021 to January 2022 [TBA]
- U.S. citizen, permanent residents or foreign national with a U.S Green Card
- Dual French-American citizens or French permanent residents of the U.S.
- 20-35 years of age at the time of application
- Junior status by beginning of program
- Majority of elementary, secondary and university studies completed in U.S.
- Proficiency in French
- Teaching experience or experience working with children preferred
Award summary and conditions: Through the Teaching Assistant Program in France (TAPIF), the French Ministry of Education and the Cultural Services of the French Embassy offer approximately 1,500 English language teaching assistantships in French primary and secondary schools as well as in various French teaching colleges (Institut Universitaire de Formation des Maîtres) in all regions of France and the French overseas departments of French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique and Réunion. This joint initiative between the Embassy of France and the French Ministry of Education aims to strengthen English language instruction in the French educational system through the establishment of a native speaker presence.
- Stipend of €965 per month (gross), €790 per month (net)
- The sécu covers 70% of medical costs, 35-65% of prescriptions, and 80% of hospitalization fees in France
Program duration: All teaching contracts last 7 months, from October 1st through April 30th.
Applicants may request a city or region to which they wish to be assigned. However, the number of teaching positions available in larger metropolitan areas, such as Lyon, Strasbourg, Nice and Montpellier, is limited. Therefore, applicants should also be prepared to accept teaching positions in smaller communities. Teaching assistants receive a monthly salary from which deductions for mandatory health insurance and French social security are taken. Teaching assistants do not receive additional support for travel to France or for dependents. Personal funds are necessary for the initial period of the grant. The stipend provides enough money to live in the manner of a typical French student.
Application process: online www.tapif.org
- Online application
- $80 application fee
- Statement of purpose (500 words, in French)
- Scan of passport
- Scan of Green Card if U.S. permanent resident
- Scan of official transcripts
- Language evaluation
Announcement date: Early April via email