Science students studying in a group

Finding a Job

Students who are eligible for Federal Work-Study will be given priority for jobs on campus. Finding a job is as simple as logging into Handshake and applying for jobs. Students can also contact a department directly if they have an interest in working for a specific department. Our On-Campus Job Catalog lists a variety of department positions available to students. Washington State residents who are eligible for federal work-study are also eligible for state work-study options. 

Whitman College also participates in the America Reads/America Counts programs. These programs, funded through the Federal Work-Study and State Work-Study Programs, provide reading and math tutors for local elementary and middle schools. Interested students must be cleared through the Washington State Patrol, and applications are available in the Student Engagement Center in Reid Campus Center.

Getting Started

Before you may work on campus, you must complete some paperwork in the Human Resources Office, Memorial Building 104. You will need to fill out W-4 and I-9 forms and provide bank account information if you wish to participate in direct deposit.

If you have any questions about what is needed by the Human Resources Office or other issues regarding getting paid for on-campus employment, contact HR at 509-527-5172.

How Much You Can Earn

With the exception of students who are earning through State Work Study or the America Reads program, there are no restrictions on how much a student may earn during the school year. Working 10-12 hours per week helps students financially, as well as teaches them how to effectively manage their time. However, students need to be aware that the Federal Methodology (the formula used to determine each student's eligibility for federal student aid) uses the actual amount of the earnings from the previous year in the formula. Therefore, the amount you earn one year could affect the amount of federal aid for which you are eligible in the ensuing year. Your school year earnings will not affect your qualification for Whitman scholarship funds in the current year or the next year.If you are one of a handful of students working through the Washington State Work Study, America Reads, or America Counts program during the academic year, you will want to check with us to see what your earning limitations are.

What Happens to Your Earnings

Your campus earnings are paid to you in the form of a paycheck or direct deposit to your bank account. What you do with that money is up to you. Your earnings are not applied to your student account unless you go into the Student Accounts Office and pay some of your earnings on your account.

Washington State Work Study, America Reads, and America Counts Programs

The WSWS program is a great opportunity to investigate a career and get paid at the same time. Students with need may work in career-related jobs during the school year and/or during the summer months, and the state of Washington will subsidize the employer. The state reimburses your employer anywhere from 40%-70% of your salary if you are employed through WSWS. The selection of WSWS students for the summer employment subsidy is done in cooperation with the Career Center. The Student Engagement Center has operated a successful internship program for years, so if you wish to be selected for WSWS summer employment, you will want to submit an internship application in the Career Center in early April. Only good career-related jobs are selected, and when the demand for jobs exceeds the funds available, the selection of WSWS employees becomes competitive.Students who are Washington residents and are eligible to earn through the Federal Work Study program will be considered for the America Reads and America Counts programs. Susan Prudente is the coordinator for both of these programs. Her office is in the Student Engagement Center located in Reid Campus Center 219. The money you earn through one of these programs is paid to you either by the college or your off-campus employer. If you are paid by the College, your paycheck will be deposited to your checking account on or near the 20th of each month. If you are being paid by an off-campus employer, you will need to check with them to see what their procedures are for getting your paycheck to you.