If you were unable to apply for a Scramble before the deadline there are still spots available on the following trips and registration is back open:
Rosstafarian Adventure (canoe/backpack), 2 spots
A Rossin and a Rolling (canoe/backpack), 1 spot
Sacajawea Scavengers (wallowas backpacking), 1 spot
Face the Hurricane (wallowas backpacking), 1 spots
It is now a first come first serve basis for the remaining spots and they will likely go quickly! Please fill out an application as soon as possible if you want a good chance of being placed! The longer you wait the less likely you will get one of the open spots. Please put at least two choices from the open trips.
NOTE: There is an error in the 2017 booklet. It says the price of Strawberry Sweetness is $630, but the correct price is $540, the same as the other early Scramble, Strawberry Jubilee. We apologize if this has caused any inconvenience or distress! The price is correct on COMPASS. Please contact Eva Geisse at email@example.com or (415) 827-4664 if you have any questions or concerns!
This year marks the 40th year of the Whitman College Scramble Program. This year we have 20 trips planned with 63 student leaders and roughly 192 spaces for incoming first year students to go out into the field. Scrambles will travel as far as the San Juan Islands, WA to sea kayak and the Salmon River, ID to kayak and raft. Backpacking trips will be divided up amongst the Strawberry Mountains, OR, Elkhorn Mountains, OR, Wallowa Mountains, OR, Olympic Peninsula, WA, and North Cascades, WA while canoers will cross Ross Lake, WA and rock climbers will climb at Smith Rock, OR. The average trip length will be 8-9 days.
An early scramble trips would be ideal for you if one of the following applies:
-you're an international student
-you're a varsity athlete with pre-season training before school starts
-you want to participate in the SCORE program AND Scrambles program
-you're able to go back home between the end of your scrambles trip and the start of orientation.
If you would like to register for either scramble, please begin the registration process on Compass at whit.mn/scrambles . If you have any questions or concerns please contact our Scramble Coordinator, Eva Geisse, directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The scramble booklet below is for information only. In order to register for a scramble, you will need a Whitman College email address. The 2017 Scramble booklet will be available in the Spring.
Frequently Asked Questions
When can I register for 2017 Scrambles?
You will be able to fill out your application online starting on May 18th. Submit your application and full payment before June 15th. On June 15th we will process applications by random lottery and we will try to assign trips based on stated preferences. We will continue to accept and process applications after June 15th on a first-come, first-served basis until all trips are full.
I can't afford to go on a Scramble. Do you offer financial aid?
Yes, we do! We do not want cost to be a barrier to anyone hoping to participate in the Scrambles Program, so we offer scholarships to students receiving significant need-based financial aid. All students that apply to the scrambles program will automatically be checked to see if they qualify for a percentage of financial. There is a fund administered by the Scrambles Program that will cover up to 50% of the Scramble cost, depending on your level of need-based financial aid. However, if you for any reason cannot pay the $300 deposit fee, please do not hesitate to contact the Dean of Students Office at (509) 527-5158. If you qualify, the Dean of Students Office will look at your need and work hard to assist you in paying the $300 deposit fee and possibly more. If you have any questions or concerns about this, please don't hesitate to contact the Scramble Coordinator, Eva Geisse, directly by phone at (415) 827-4664 or by email at email@example.com.
When will I find out which Scramble I've been placed on?
We will mail out trip acceptances within two weeks of the June lottery. Participants will be notified by email. We keep a wait list for trips that fill up if there is more interest than spots available.
When do I need to be in Walla Walla for Scrambles?
Early Scramblers' trips begin on August 12th. Regularly timed Scramblers begin on August 15th, 16th, or 17th, depending on the trip. All Scramblers need to be on campus by 1:00 pm of the stated start date for Scrambles.
What is the cancellation policy for Scrambles?
Participants canceling before July 15th receive a full refund minus a $65 cancellation fee. After July 15th until two weeks before Scrambles, participants receive a 50 percent refund.
Contact the Scrambles Coordinator, Eva Geisse, with other questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Outdoor Program is offering 20 Scrambles trips in 2017.
Early Scramble: #1 and #2 (August 12 through August 17)
Regular Scrambles: #3 - #20 (August 15, 16 or 17 through August 23)
- Strawberry Jubilee - Backpacking in the Strawberry Mountains, OR (August 12-17)
- Strawberry Sweetness - Backpacking in the Strawberry Mountains, OR (August 12-17)
- Rosstafarian Adventure - Canoeing/Backpacking (August 15-23)
- A Rossin' and a Rollin' - Canoeing and backpacking on Ross Lake, WA (August 15 - 23)
- San Juan Wanderers - Sea kayaking in the San Juan Islands, WA (August 15 - 23)
- Outrageous Orcas Orbiters - Sea kayaking in the San Juan Islands, WA (August 15 - 23)
- Jonesin' for Jellies - Sea kayaking in the San Juan Islands, WA (August 15 - 23)
- Seaside Swag - Coastal backpacking in Olympic National Park, WA (August 15 - 23)
- Tidal Trekking - Coastal backpacking in Olympic National Park, WA (August 15 - 23)
- Glacial Glow - Backpacking in the Glacier Peak Wilderness, WA (August 15 - 23)
- Pyroclastic Pathfinders - Backpacking around Mt. Saint Helens (August 16 - 23)
- Sacajawea Scavengers - Backpacking in the Wallowa National Forest, OR (August 16 - 23)
- Face the Hurricane - Backpacking in the Wallowa National Forest, OR (August 16 - 23)
- Smith Family Robinson - Rock climbing in Smith Rock State Park, OR (August 16 - 23)
- School of Hard Rocks - Rock climbing in Smith Rock State Park, OR (August 16 - 23)
- Bodaciously Bouncing Boating - Whitewater rafting along the Salmon River, ID (August 16 - 23)
- Slammin' Salmon - Whitewater kayaking along the Salmon River, ID (August 16 - 23)
- Elkhorn Extravaganza - Backpacking in the Elkhorn Mountains, OR (August 17 - 23)
- Epic Elkhorn Escape - Backpacking in the Elkhorn Mountains, OR (August 17 - 23)
- Stawberry Fields - Backpacking (August 17 - 23)