Princeton in Latin America
National deadline: November 6, 2017, 8:59 PM PST
- U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent residents or holders of valid U.S. student visas
- Young alumni (class of 2009 forward)
- Elementary knowledge of host country's language is encouraged*
*Note: For most positions some knowledge of the local language (Spanish, Portuguese, or French) is necessary. In addition, applicants who feel that they might need to strengthen their language skills may indicate that they plan on taking language classes prior to starting the fellowship. Please note that while we do not reject applicants who have little Spanish, our program, because of the work you will be doing, emphasizes solid language skills.
Award Summary and Conditions: Princeton in Latin America (PiLA) is a nonprofit organization, affiliated with but not funded by Princeton University. PiLA partners with non-governmental organizations (NGOs), community, government and multilateral organizations throughout Latin America and the Caribbean to provide them with highly qualified recent college graduates. Fellows commit to a full-year service fellowship in development work. PiLA fellowships are paid positions. Fellows will receive a monthly stipend, either from PiLA or the partner organization, or a combination of the two, to cover daily living expenses: housing, food, and local transportation.
Fellows are expected to cover the costs of
- $100 Application fee
- $500 Fellowship placement fee
- Transportation expenses to Princeton between December to mid-January (interviews) and early June (orientation)
- Pre-departure health expenses and health insurance ($300-$500)
- Visa application fees
- Round-trip airfare to Latin America
Upon selection for a fellowship, the PiLA home office will work with the fellow to arrange student loan deferrals, health insurance, and to obtain any necessary visas.
Application process: online
- Transcript(s) scanned
- Letters of recommendation (2)
- Essays (3)
- Curriculum Vitae
Faculty representative: Keith Raether
194 Nassau Street, Suite 210
Princeton, NJ 08542-7003 USA
T: 609.258.9200 | F: 609.269.2173