Internal deadline: September 18, 2015
National deadline: October 1, 2015, 5:00 p.m. EST
- U.S. Citizen
- 18 years of age or older but NOT yet 30 on October 1, 2015
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university before beginning study under the Mitchell Scholarship
Award summary and conditions: The George J. Mitchell Scholarship is a national competitive award sponsored by the US-Ireland Alliance. Named in honor of the former U.S. Senator's pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, the Mitchell is designed to introduce and connect upcoming generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to public service and community. Twelve Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland. Applicants are judged on three criteria: academic excellence, leadership, and a sustained commitment to service and community. The Mitchell Scholarship provides tuition, housing, a living expenses stipend, and an international travel stipend. For more information please visit: http://www.us-irelandalliance.org/content/44/en/Application Process.html
Application process: online (finalists will be required to send in hard copies of requested materials upon learning of their nomination as a finalist)
- Personal information
- Educational information
- Awards and activities
- Letters of recommendation (4) - two of the letters of reference must come from persons with whom the candidate has done academic work
- Institutional endorsement (for undergraduates only)
- 1,000 word personal statement (please see important information regarding the essay on the Rhodes Scholarship summary)
- Short video interview
The applicant is responsible for researching and listing at least three specific proposed graduate programs at three different universities in Ireland and/or Northern Ireland. It is essential that applicants list at least three different university choices. Listing only one or two university choices will significantly weaken an applicant’s candidacy. University placement may be a factor in the selection process.
Supporting documents to be uploaded electronically by the deadline:
- ONE pdf image file of passport-sized photo
- ONE pdf image file of the applicant's signature. Sign a blank paper. Scan it. Upload that file.
- ONE file containing unofficial copies of [all] an applicant's college (and graduate, when applicable) transcript[s] must be uploaded in pdf format. If a Social Security Number (SSN) is shown on transcript(s), please obscure that information. The system will accept ONE pdf file in this field for each application.
- The following document is not uploaded at the time of initial application but must be available if requested:
- ONE electronic image file of an applicant's birth certificate, passport, or documented evidence of U.S. citizenship
Whitman internal application process: A complete application will be required at the internal deadline. It should be printed out from the online application site.
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether
Internal nomination required: Yes
National committee interview: Yes