Internal deadline: August 31, 2018
National deadline: September 28, 2018 (2:00 PM PST)
- U.S. Citizen
- 18 years of age or older but NOT yet 30 on September 28 of the year of the application
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university before beginning study under the Mitchell Scholarship
Award summary and conditions: The George J. Mitchell Scholarship is a nationally competitive award sponsored by the US-Ireland Alliance. Named in honor of the former U.S. Senator's pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, the Mitchell is designed to introduce and connect upcoming generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to public service and community. Up to twelve Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland. The Mitchell Scholarship provides tuition, housing, a living expenses stipend, and an international travel stipend. For more information please visit: http://www.us-irelandalliance.org/content/44/en/Application Process.html
Application process: online (upon nomination, hard copies will be required)
- Biographical information
- Letters of recommendation (4) - two of the letters of reference must come from persons with whom the candidate has done academic work
- Institutional endorsement (for undergraduates only)
- 1,000 word personal statement (please see important information regarding the essay on the Rhodes Scholarship summary)
- Short video interview
- PDF of passport-sized photo
- PDF of the applicant's signature. Sign a blank paper. Scan it. Upload that file.
- PDF containing unofficial copies of [all] an applicant's college (and graduate, when applicable) transcript[s] must be uploaded in PDF format. If a Social Security Number (SSN) is shown on transcript(s), please obscure that information. The system will accept ONE PDF file in this field for each application.
- Proposed graduate programs (3)*
*The applicant is responsible for researching and listing at least three specific proposed graduate programs at three different universities in Ireland. The universities in Northern Island are in the mix of possible choices.
Whitman internal application process: A complete application is required at the internal deadline.
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether
Internal nomination required: Yes
National committee interview: Yes