- U.S. citizen
- Full-time undergraduate student
- Competitive GPA
- Expected to receive an undergraduate degree in the Spring of 2016 or beyond
- Proficiency in English (Proficiency in French is required to study at Francophone universities)
- Nominated by home university
Award summary and benefits: The Killam Fellowship offers students the opportunity to experience Canadian culture, study at world-class universities and gain transfer credits that will fulfill necessary credits toward their degree at their home institution. The Fellowship covers the cost of:
- US $5,000 for one semester
- $250 in the host country's denomination for Health Insurance Allowance
- $800 in the host country's denomination for in-country travel allowance
- Fall Killam Orientation in Ottawa, ON (travel costs, room and board)
- Spring Seminar in Washington, DC (travel costs, room and board)
(A limited amount of funds are available on a competitive, need-determined basis to students from private universities to help offset tuition differentials.) Applicants to the direct exchange are responsible for applying to three Canadian universities. Be aware that those application deadlines may precede the Killam deadline.
Application process: hardcopy (http://www.killamfellowships.com/programs/american-students/traditional-awards/how-to-apply.html)
- Application Form
- Personal Statement (1 page max, single spaced)
- Curriculum Vitae (3 pages max.)
- Course Selection Form
- Confidential Reference Forms (2)
- Official transcript(s) in a sealed envelope.
- Photocopy of passport (preferred), birth certificate, or other documentation that verifies citizenship.
- English Language Proficiency Report (If your first language is not English and if you are not currently to studying at an English-language university, you are required to submit a language proficiency report.
- French Language Proficiency Report If your first language is not French and if you are planning to study at a French-language university, you are required to submit a language proficiency report.)
Note: In addition the Fellowships and Grants Office will require proof that the "Off-Campus Study Leave" application (http://www.whitman.edu/ocs) has been filed with the Off Campus Study Office by the internal deadline. Faculty representative: Keith Raether