- U.S. citizen
- Full-time undergraduate student
- Competitive GPA
- Expected to receive an undergraduate degree in the Spring of 2018 or beyond
- Proficiency in English (Proficiency in French is required to study at Francophone universities)
- Nominated by home university
Award summary and benefits: The Killam Fellowship offers students the opportunity to experience Canadian culture, study at world-class universities and gain transfer credits that will fulfill necessary credits toward their degree at their home institution. The Fellowship covers the cost of:
- US $5,000 for one semester
- $250 in the host country's denomination for Health Insurance Allowance
- $800 in the host country's denomination for in-country travel allowance
- Fall Killam Orientation in Ottawa, ON (travel costs, room and board)
- Spring Seminar in Washington, DC (travel costs, room and board)
(A limited amount of funds are available on a competitive, need-determined basis to students from private universities to help offset tuition differentials.)
Application process: hardcopy (http://www.killamfellowships.com/programs/killam-fellowships/americans/how-to-apply.html)
- Completed cover sheet and checklist
- Application Form
- Personal Statement (1 page max, single spaced)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume (3 pages max.)
- Course Selection Form
- Confidential Reference Forms (2)
- Official transcript(s) in a sealed envelope.
- Photocopy of passport (preferred), birth certificate, or other documentation that verifies citizenship.
- English Language Proficiency Report (If your first language is not English and if you are not currently to studying at an English-language university, you are required to submit a language proficiency report.
- French Language Proficiency Report (If your first language is not French and if you are planning to study at a French-language university, you are required to submit a language proficiency report.)
Note: In addition the Fellowships and Grants Office will require proof that the "Off-Campus Study Leave" application (https://www.whitman.edu/off-campus-studies/getting-started/ocs-forms) has been filed with the Off Campus Study Office by the internal deadline.
Faculty representative: Keith Raether