First internal deadline: December 7, 2015
Second internal deadline: January 15, 2016
National Deadlines: January 29, 2016, 5:00 p.m. CST (online submission) February 1, 2016 (receipt of hard copy/supporting documents)
- U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or, in the case of nominees from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Mariana Islands, a United States national. Nominations from permanent residents must include a letter of the nominee's intent to obtain U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the Permanent Resident Card
- Sophomore or Junior
- 3.0 GPA and be in the upper fourth quartile of class
Award summary and conditions: The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship Program was created to encourage outstanding students to pursue careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering and to foster excellence in those fields. In awarding scholarships, the Foundation Board of Trustees will consider the nominee's field of study and career objectives and the extent to which that individual has the commitment and potential to make a significant contribution to his or her field. Each scholarship covers eligible expenses for undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to a maximum of $7,500 annually.
Whitman preliminary application requirements due in Office of Fellowships and Grants by 5:00 p.m. on December 7, 2015:
- Biographical data
- Unofficial transcript
- Essay (1)
- Reference contacts (3) should you be nominated
Application process: online and hard copy
- Institution Nomination (Whitman's Faculty Rep.)
- Nominee Application (Student)
- Recommendations (3)-student lists three recommenders and their email addresses in their application. The system will then generate an email to each recommender giving them instructions on completing their online recommendation.
Supporting Documents to be sent in hard copy:
- Essay (1)
Note: Copy of Permanent Resident card and letter of intent to become U.S. citizen, if nominee's citizenship status is permanent resident.
Faculty Representative: Mark Juhasz
Internal nomination required: Yes; Whitman is allowed to submit up to four nominations.
Contact information: http://www.act.org/goldwater/yybull.html