Fulbright U.S. Student Program
First internal deadline (full application required): September 16, 2016
Internal interviews: September 26-30 (tentative)
Final internal deadline: October 7, 2016
National deadline: October 11, 2016 5 PM (EST)
- U.S. citizen at time of application
- B.A. degree or equivalent (see website for definitions) before start of grant
- Good health. Grantees will be required to submit a satisfactory medical certificate of health from a physician
- Proficiency in the written and spoken language of host country
- Provides for individually designed study/research ("academic" grant) or English teaching assistantship (ETA) in a single country.
- Facilitates cultural exchange through direct interaction in the classroom, field, home, and in daily tasks; focus of program is on appreciation of others' viewpoints and beliefs, customs and approaches to daily life.
- Promotes mutual understanding through community engagement in an atmosphere of openness, academic integrity, and intellectual freedom.
Application process: online (Embark system)
- Biographical information
- Statement of grant purpose
- Personal statement
- Letter(s) of affiliation for "academic" grants (research/arts applicants)
- Language report forms (if needed; consult country summary)
- Form 7: Language background report
- Form 7A: Critical Language Enhancement Award supplementary form
- Form 8: Foreign language evaluation
- Academic grants: long-form letters of recommendation (3)
- ETA grants: responses to prompts from recommenders (3)
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Supplementary form and materials required for creative/performing arts applications
Note: Letters of recommendation (academic grants) and responses to prompts from recommenders (ETA grants) must be submitted by internal application deadline. The automatic (e-mail) prompt that recommenders receive through the Fulbright online system (Embark) may indicate the national deadline rather than Whitman's internal deadline.
Faculty representative: Keith Raether
Internal committee: Yes
Internal interview: Yes
Internal nomination required: No. A campus evaluation form is completed by the Whitman committee following the interview and submitted with each application to the national committee.
National committee interview: No