Davis Fellows for Peace (Middlebury)
National deadline: December 15, 2017, 9:00 PM (PST)
*It is not recommended that you wait until December to submit both applications. In order to be considered for the fellowship, your Language School application must be on file and complete. If a piece of your Language School application is delayed for some reason (a transcript, for example), your fellowship application may not be reviewed. If you want to give yourself time to work on the fellowship essay, we recommend that you apply for admission in the fall and then submit your fellowship application later.
- Demonstrated interest in international, global or area studies; international politics and economics; peace and security studies; and/or conflict resolution. Individuals in other fields, including working professionals, are encouraged to apply if their field of expertise requires them to study one of the languages.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to have at least one year of college before applying.
Award summary and conditions: 100 Davis Fellowships are offered to cover the full cost of summer language study from beginner to graduate levels. At the Middlebury campuses students can study Chinese, korean, Hebrew, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Arabic, Italian or Spanish. Davis Fellowship funds are limited and will be awarded on a competitive basis. Financial aid forms are not required for the Davis awards. However, students are encouraged to apply for regular Middlebury College financial aid, awarded on a demonstrated-need basis, through the office of financial aid.
Application process: online and hard copy (if needed). Two applications are required:
- One to Middlebury Language School of choice. Application materials: http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/ls/applications/
- One to Davis Fellowship. Application materials: http://www.middlebury.edu/ls/finaid/fellowships/kwd
Online Language Schools application, which includes:
- $75 non-refundable fee
- Letter(s) of recommendation
Online scholarship supplement, which includes:
- Online scholarship application
- Required essay (500-600 words. See essay question under "Application Instructions:" http://www.middlebury.edu/ls/finaid/fellowships/kwd)
- Curriculum vitae or Resume
Selection process: Decisions will be announced by email February 1, 2018
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether