National deadline: December 15, 2016, 11:59pm EST
*It is not recommended that you wait until December to submit both applications. In order to be considered for the fellowship, your Language School application must be on file and complete. If a piece of your Language School application is delayed for some reason (a transcript, for example), your fellowship application may not be reviewed. If you want to give yourself time to work on the fellowship essay, we recommend that you apply for admission in the fall and then submit your fellowship application later (but no later than January 15).
- Demonstrated interest in international, global or area studies; international politics and economics; peace and security studies; and/or conflict resolution. Individuals in other fields, including working professionals, are encouraged to apply if their field of expertise requires them to study one of the languages.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to have at least one year of college before applying.
Award summary and conditions: 100 Davis Fellowships are offered to cover the full cost of summer language study from beginner to graduate levels. At the Middlebury campuses students can study Chinese, korean, Hebrew, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Arabic, Italian or Spanish. Davis Fellowship funds are limited and will be awarded on a competitive basis. Financial aid forms are not required for the Davis awards. However, students are encouraged to apply for regular Middlebury College financial aid, awarded on a demonstrated-need basis, through the office of financial aid.
Application process: online and hard copy Two applications are required:
- One to Middlebury Language School of choice. Application materials: http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/ls/applications/
- One to Davis Fellowship. Application materials: http://www.middlebury.edu/ls/finaid/fellowships/kwd
You may enroll in courses in one Language School only, and typically only at one level of study. You are, however, welcome to apply to more than one school; in order to do so, you must submit a complete application packet for each school to which you are apply (including a separate application fee). The $75 non-refundable application fee must accompany your application. You may either pay this fee online during the application process or make out a check, payable to "Middlebury College" and mail it to the Middlebury Language Schools.
Davis Fellowship application requirements:
- Online application
- $75 non-refundable fee
- Letter(s) of recommendation
- Online scholarship application
- Required essay (See essay question under "Application Instructions:" http://www.middlebury.edu/ls/finaid/fellowships/kwd)
- Curriculum vitae
Selection process: Decisions will be announced by email February 1, 2017
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether