National deadline: December 1, 2015 (online) December 11, 2015 (hard copy)
- Sophomore or junior enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree program at an accredited North American college or university
- U.S. or Canadian citizen, or permanent resident
- Foreign nationals are eligible if they have been full-time students at an accredited U.S. or Canadian university for at least one year at the time of application
- Minimum of four semesters of college German or the equivalent proficiency obtained elsewhere
Award summary and conditions: This program provides scholarships to attend a broad range of three- to four-week summer courses at German universities which focus mainly on German language and literary, cultural, political and economic aspects of modern and contemporary Germany. Extensive extracurricular programs complement and reinforce the core material.
Application process: Online and hard copy (https://www.daad.org/?p=onlineapplications)
Application requirements: The application form must be completed online and you must send the original printout of the application with your signature, your supplemental documents and materials to the DAAD New York office. Every component of the application, with the exception of the recommendation letter, must be submitted in duplicate (one original, one photocopy); applications not submitted in duplicate will not be processed. Do not staple any part of the application and submit materials in this order:
- Completed DAAD application form
- Autobiographical essay (in German)
- Curriculum vitae
- Detailed statement (in English) of approximately 500 words explaining why the applicant wants to attend a University Summer Course.
- Recommendation letter written by a professor in your major field of study. It should not be from the same professor who evaluates your language proficiency. (Since most referees prefer to provide them in a sealed envelope, you may submit one original letter without the photocopy.)
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary studies. (You may open the official transcript to make a photocopy if obtaining two official copies costs you extra.
- DAAD language evaluation form ("Sprachzeugnis"). The language evaluation form is part of the application form and must be completed and signed by a faculty member of the German Department at the applicant's institution or by an official of a Goethe-Institut.
Mail your application to:
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 1001
Faculty representative: Keith Raether
Announcement date: April 2016
Contact information: email@example.com