DAAD Undergraduate Scholarship
Deadline: (TBA) January 2019, 2:59 p.m. PST (postmarked)
- U.S. or Canadian citizen or permanent resident (Foreign nationals are eligible if they have been full-time students at an accredited U.S. or Canadian university for more than one year at the time of application and will return to the U.S. or Canada after the scholarship period to complete their Bachelor's degree
- Sophomore or junior
- German language competency recommended
- Enrolled, full-time students at an accredited North American college or university
Award summary and conditions: The goal of this program is to support study abroad in Germany and at German universities for students who have well-defined study, research or internship plans for their stay in Germany. Preference will be given to students whose projects or programs are based at and organized by a German university. Scholarships are available either as part of an organized study abroad program or as part of an individual, student-designed study abroad semester or year. Students should demonstrate an interest in contemporary German and European affairs and explain the significance of their project in Germany to their future studies, research or professional goals.
Support is granted for a 4-10 month period in Germany during the German academic year. Recipients will be awarded a monthly stipend of approximately €650, plus additional funds to help defray travel and research expenses as well as health insurance.
Application process: online and hard copy
- Online application form for funding program
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages)
- Statement about academic and personal reasons for the planned study project in Germany (letter of motivation; 1-3 pages; see FAQs for tips)
- Statement of Support and Credit Eligibility
- Proof of acceptance into Study Abroad Program, Exchange Program, letter by mentor or invitation from a German university. This can be submitted after the rest of the application, but prior to starting the program. In this case, please include in your application a letter from your study abroad office or the program you are applying to, which confirms that you are indeed applying for the respective program.
- College Transcripts (can be scanned and uploaded in non-certified form.)
- Language Evaluation Certificate (Sprachzeugnis).
To be submitted by mail:
- The "Application summary", which is generated in the portal in PDF format and can be printed out after the online application procedure is completed; please send 3 copies to the application address.
- One reference letter (3 copies - one for each copy of the application) from a university teacher in a sealed envelope with original signature AND have your reference send the letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that your reference emails a scan of the original which includes his/her signature
Mail your application to:
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Faculty representative: Keith Raether
Announcement date: TBA (May 2018)
Contact information: email@example.com (http://www.daad.org/