Application deadline: November 4, 2015, 5:00 p.m. EST for online application. No later than Nov. 11, 2015 (postmark) for the hard copies of the online application
- Students in their last year of undergraduate studies at an accredited North American university
- Recent BA/BS or MA/MS graduates (6 years)
- Graduate students enrolled full-time at an accredited North American university
- Students who are in the first year of Master's programs in Germany may apply to fund their second year
- By the time of application deadline, applicants may not have been living in Germany for more than 15 months
- Applicants should be US or Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Foreign nationals are eligible if they have been full-time students at an accredited US or Canadian University for at least two years at the time of application.
- Applicants in the humanities and social sciences should have a strong command of German.
- Applicants may not hold a DAAD grant and a grant from another German or German-American organization/German-Canadian organization concurrently for the same project. Prior recipients of a DAAD grant should contact DAAD New York before applying to determine their eligibility status.
Award summary and conditions:
- Graduate study scholarships are granted for one academic year (10 months) with the possibility of a one-year extension for students completing a full degree program in Germany.
- Scholarships must take place during the German academic year (October 1, 2016 to July 31, 2017).
- Monthly stipends are approximately €750. DAAD will cover health insurance and provide a flat rate subsidy for travel costs (US East: €850 / West: €1,075; Canada East: €925 / West: €1,300). In addition, limited funds are available for a rent subsidy and family allowance.
Application process: Online and hard copy.
- Signed application form
- Curriculum vitae (your name should appear on each page, max. 3 pages)
- Study proposal (You may apply for funding for a Master's program OR a period of independent study.)
- Letter of recommendation (1) on university letterhead, from a professor at a North American institution in your field of study. Please request that your professor include two photocopies with the original letter in a sealed envelope. This letter will not be uploaded but will be sent with the hard copies of the application.
- Evidence of contact with German institution.
- DAAD language evaluation - form available online (Sprachzeugnis)
ONLINE APPLICATION PORTAL
THE PORTAL CLOSES AT 11 PM CENTRAL EUROPEAN TIME (5 PM EST/4PM CST/3PM MTN/2PM PST) ON THE DEADLINE DATE. AS THE ELECTRONIC APPLICATION SYSTEM SHUTS DOWN AUTOMATICALLY, APPLICANT ARE ADVISED TO START THE ONLINE PROCESS AT LEAST ONE WEEK BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE.
- Register at the Online Application Portal prior to making an application
- Once registered, log on to the portal to download an electronic application form
- Upload all documents (as listed above) in PDF format to the application portal, except the letter of recommendation. (You should have all of the compulsory documents ready when you upload your completed application form.
- Once an application has been accepted, a notification and an Application Summary (PDF) will be sent to the portal. Print out the application summary as soon as you receive it.
- The Online Application Portal allows applicants to check the status of their application.
SENDING IN YOUR APPLICATION
Make two (2) duplicates of the Application Summary, submitting A TOTAL OF THREE (3) SETS and the original letter of recommendation in one package. DO NOT staple.
Please send your complete application package WITHIN ONE WEEK AFTER THE DEADLINE. You may submit your application in advanced of the deadline date, but it will not be processed until after the deadline to assure fairness to all applicants.
Mail your application to:
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Please keep a copy of the completed application for your records.
Notification: Recipients will be notified via email mid-April.
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether