Application deadline: November 4, 2016, 5:00 p.m. EST (online application)
November 11, 2016 hard copy (post mark)
- Students in their last year of undergraduate studies at an accredited North American university
- Recent BA/BS or MA/MS graduates (6 years)
- Graduate students enrolled full-time at an accredited North American university
- Students who are in the first year of Master's programs in Germany may apply to fund their second year
- By the time of application deadline, applicants may not have been living in Germany for more than 15 months
- Applicants should be US or Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Foreign nationals are eligible if they have been full-time students at an accredited US or Canadian University for at least two years at the time of application.
- Applicants in the humanities and social sciences should have a strong command of German.
- Applicants may not hold a DAAD grant and a grant from another German or German-American organization/German-Canadian organization concurrently for the same project. Prior recipients of a DAAD grant should contact DAAD New York before applying to determine their eligibility status.
Award summary and conditions:
- Graduate study scholarships are granted for one academic year (10 months) with the possibility of a one-year extension for students completing a full degree program in Germany.
- Scholarships must take place during the German academic year (October 1, 2016 to July 31, 2017).
- Monthly stipends are approximately €750. DAAD will cover health insurance and provide a flat rate subsidy for travel costs (US East: €850 / West: €1,075; Canada East: €925 / West: €1,300). In addition, limited funds are available for a rent subsidy and family allowance.
Application process: online and hard copy
- Signed application form
- Curriculum vitae (your name should appear on each page, max. 3 pages)
- Study proposal (You may apply for funding for a Master's program OR a period of independent study.)
- Letter of recommendation (1) on university letterhead, from a professor at a North American institution in your field of study. Please request that your professor include two photocopies with the original letter in a sealed envelope. This letter will not be uploaded but will be sent with the hard copies of the application.
- Evidence of contact with German institution.
- DAAD language evaluation - form available online (Sprachzeugnis)
Mail your application to:
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
871 United Nations Plaza
New York, NY 10017
Notification: Recipients will be notified via email mid-April
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether