National deadline: (TBA) October 2018 (Spring 2019)
(TBA) April 2019 (Fall 2019)
• U.S. citizen at time of application
• Enrollment as undergraduate in a college or university in the U.S. before and during the time grantee is studying abroad.
• Minimum of three-month study in Japan that earns credit. Credit must transfer to home campus in the U.S.
• Proficiency in written and spoken language of host country
Award summary: The Bridging Project offers scholarships to American undergraduate students who participate in study-abroad programs in Japan. About 100 scholarships are awarded each year to assist students with travel and living expenses they incurred while studying abroad in Japan for a semester or an academic year.
Applications are accepted twice a year for Bridging Scholarships.
Recipients receive a stipend of $2,500 (for students on semester-long programs) or $4,000 (for students on academic-year programs). Students studying in Japan on summer programs are not eligible to apply.
Application process: Hard-copy applications by mail
• Short essay (up to 500 words)
• Letter of recommendation (1)
• Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
Faculty representative: Keith Raether