National deadline: January 28, 2016, 5:00 p.m. EST
- U.S. citizen at the time of application
- Enrolled in or applying to a graduate degree program at an accredited U.S. college or university in the United States
- Evidence of admission and enrollment in such a program at the time of award
Award summary and conditions: Boren Fellowships, an initiative of the National Security Education Program, provide unique funding opportunities for U.S. graduate students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. The countries of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are excluded.
Boren Fellows represent a vital pool of highly motivated individuals who wish to work in the federal national security arena. In exchange for funding, Boren Fellows commit to working in the federal government for at least one year after graduation.
Application process: online
Application requirements: Submit the online application, which includes the following items. (Note: before starting the online application, remember to read the application instructions in the "How to Apply" section of the website (http://www.borenawards.org/boren_fellowship/how_apply.html)
- Essays (2)
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Detailed budget
- Letters of recommendation (3)
- Online language proficiency form
- Language self-assessment
- Letter of overseas affiliation - (If possible) Applicants should provide a letter from an academic institution, research institute, non-governmental organization, and/or an individual who is aware that the applicant is planning study and/or researching that country and is willing to assist the applicant in coordinating their plans. Applicants should remember that the letter of affiliation is not required at the time of application, and the lack of this letter should not stop them from applying.
Faculty Representative: Keith Raether
Announcement date: All applicants are notified of their status by email in early May
Contact information: http://www.borenawards.org/contact.html