National deadline: November 1, 2015
- Well defined research or study project that makes a stay in Scandinavia essential ·
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident. ·
- Seniors and alumni ·
- Team projects acceptable (individual application required) ·
- Language ability preferred in country where study will be done
Award summary and conditions: The American-Scandinavian Foundation (ASF) offers year-long fellowships (up to $23,000) and one-to-three month grants (up to $5,000) to individuals to pursue research or study in one or more Scandinavian countries. The number of awards varies each year according to available funds. Awards are made in all fields. Priority for fellowships is given to graduate level candidates to support dissertation-related study or research.
Applications to the visual arts, music, film, dance, creative writing and translation are welcome. See website for particulars.
Application process: online and hard copy
Application requirements: A non-refundable fee of $20.00 is required. PLEASE SUBMIT ONE ORIGINAL PAPER COPY AND ONE ELECTRONIC COPY OF THE ITEMS LISTED BELOW. Each version must contain one of each item, collated in the order shown. Do not staple or use a binder for the paper copy; paper clips only (optional).
- Signed application form
- Project summary (not to exceed 200 words)
- Budget form
- Project statement (not to exceed 1,200 words) and bibliography
- Curriculum vitae (not to exceed 10 pages including publications listing)
- Invitation and other relevant correspondence confirming the availability of overseas resources
Submission of electronic copy: Please send an electronic copy of the above material via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3am Eastern Standard Time, Nov. 1, 2015. Attach the documents in one PDF file, if possible, to avoid multiple attachments in the email.
Submission of hard copy: Please submit original copies (one copy each) in sealed envelopes of the items listed below. It is not necessary to submit these items electronically or to collate them with the application form.
Letters of reference (3): Three letters are required from persons qualified to evaluate your academic or professional work who are able to comment specifically on your proposal. (Placement files will not be considered.) For doctoral candidates or recent degree recipients, one letter should be from the principal adviser of your degree program. For professionals, at least one letter should be from a colleague in your field from outside your home institution. Letters of reference may not be written by the individuals or institutions with whom you will be affiliated in Scandinavia. We recommend that you give a copy of your project statement and/or application form to your references so that they can evaluate your proposal and comment on your readiness and ability to carry it out.
- Applicants who have not completed a final degree (Ph.D., M.D., M.Arch., etc.) at the time of application should provide official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate work. ·
- Applicants who completed a final degree within the past 3 years must submit transcripts for graduate work only. ·
- Applicants who completed a final degree more than three years ago do not have to send transcripts.
Send materials to: The American-Scandinavian Foundation Attn: Fellowship Program 58 Park Avenue New York, NY 10016
Faculty representative: Keith Raether