Each student at Whitman has particular strengths, skills, interests, and ambitions that are often reflected within their course of study, whether that includes a major, minor, combined major, individually planned major, or a combined program with another institution. Academic advising can take a number of forms, and there are formal and informal ways of seeking advice and information at Whitman. Whether you are meeting with your assigned pre-major adviser, communicating with a peer, or learning about study-abroad, internship, or post-graduate opportunities from a staff or faculty member, you are getting information that may have an impact on the choices you make when determining your course of study.

Our Role

The staff of the Academic Resource Center can provide general academic advising for all students on topics such as:

  • general academic requirements
  • 4-year planning and understanding your academic evaluation
  • academic policies and procedures
  • the P-D-F grading option
  • taking a leave of absence
  • withdrawing from a class, and
  • filing a petition to the Board of Review.

We can also begin a conversation about taking an incomplete, but this process falls under the Dean of Students Office, so you would need to visit with Bridget Jacobson in order to file an Incomplete. 

If you would like to visit with an ARC staff member, please call us at (509) 527-5213 or stop by our office in Memorial 325.

Pre-Major and Major Advisers 

Staff in the Academic Resource Center are responsible for all assigning pre-major advisers to all incoming students. Pre-major advisers will guide you through your first couple years at Whitman, thereby ensuring that you are ready to declare a major by the end of your sophomore year, and that you have been mindful of distribution requirements. Part of the process of declaring your major is securing a faculty member in your department as a major adviser. If you are a doing a double major, you will have major adviser from each department. For example, a Mathematics-Economics major will have an adviser in the Mathematics department and one in the Economics department.  

Please see the Faculty Advisers section for more information about Pre-major and Major advisers. 

Student Academic Advisers

Student Academic Advisers (SAs) can also help answer questions you might have about distribution requirements or registration or offer advice about your schedule. SAs are only active employees during the Fall semester and work primarily with first-year students, but you may have developed a mentoring relationship or friendship that would make ongoing questions appropriate. 

Informal Advising Opportunities

While your pre-major or major adviser is a vital resource and will need to give you clearance for registration, you may likely find that there are many other helpful people on campus with additional perspectives. You may end up clicking with another faculty member, soliciting advice from your Scramble leader, or attending an Off-Campus Studies presentation that suddenly opens up new possibilities for you. Be open to hearing from all these potential resources! The value of an institution like Whitman is the chance to have these kinds of moments.