The Campus Sustainability Coordinator facilitates and directs sustainability efforts on campus. The main responsibilities include:
- Managing the campus Recycling Center
- Serving as a liaison between college administration and existing campus groups
- Chairing the Sustainability Advisory Committee
- Administering and managing the Sustainability Revolving Loan Fund and its application process
- Guiding students and interns in their sustainability-related pursuits
- Evaluating current practices related to sustainability in all campus operations
- Assisting campus offices and departments in establishing and implementing short- and long-range campus sustainability goals
- Identifying, evaluating, and assisting in implementing cost-effective changes to campus policies and operating procedures that will result in conservation of resources
- Working with campus departments and offices to gather and compile campus records related to conservation and sustainability efforts
- Inventorying greenhouse gas emissions and subsequently
- Networking with other colleges and universities and acting as Whitman's representative to the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- Maintaining and enhancing the Whitman Sustainability website
Questions? Contact the Coordinator at: email@example.com.
Sustainability Advisory Committee
The mission of Whitman College President’s Sustainability Advisory Committee is to promote a respect for and commitment to environmental awareness and responsibility within the Whitman College community. This dedicated group of faculty, staff, and students meets monthly to develop a direction for an increased commitment to sustainability campus-wide. The Committee is chaired by the Campus Sustainability Coordinator.
Our purpose is to:
- Undertake a leadership role in representing members of the Whitman College community on sustainability issues
- Promote a lifelong commitment to environmental stewardship among members of the Whitman community through programs of education and awareness
- Support and promote the initiatives of students, staff, and faculty that serve to enhance the College’s sustainability
- Develop recommendations to the administration that further the College’s long-range environmental goals
- Uphold the environmental principles of the College and advocate for practices aimed at reducing Whitman’s impact on the environment
2014 Climate Action Planning Task Force
Beginning Fall 2014, the College is pursuing Climate Action Planning to create a guiding document for greenhouse gas emissions reductions. The task force, as appointed by President Bridges, is made up of staff, faculty, students, trustees, and overseers to provide thorough and balanced perspectives while guiding the College to emissions reductions.
Creation of the Full Time Staff Member Proposal
In the fall of 2012, a group of students and staff launched an effort to develop a full time Sustainability Coordinator position. A dedicated staff position would allow the college to set and accomplish larger sustainability goals, integrate sustainability into a broader range of campus activities, and build on current efforts to strive for higher standards of efficiency and stewardship. Led by senators Marcial Diaz Mejia’13 and Jack Percival ’16, the Associated Students of Whitman College passed a resolution advocating for the position. They presented their proposal to the college’s Budget Advisory Committee requesting creation of the position in the 2013-2014 budget.