THE MISSION OF THE VOLTAIRE SOCIETY OF AMERICA
The chief purpose of THE VOLTAIRE SOCIETY OF AMERICA INCORPORATED is to foster the spirit of the Enlightenment, tolerance and respect for the rights of the individual as exemplified by the life of Voltaire and as reflected in the beliefs of his contemporaries, the founders of the United States.
Our projects now include the presentation of lectures and the creation of educational materials such as a video on Voltaire and Jefferson, development of a French version of such materials in conjunction with groups in Ferney, and cooperation with other cultural and educational organizations in furtherance of such goals.
- Resources pertaining to Candide
- Letters from Voltaire, a selection of Voltaire's correspondence, in English
- "Si Dieu n'existait pas... / If God did not exist..." -- Read the poem from which this famous statement is taken
- Poems dating from Voltaire's Swiss years
- Visitors to Ferney, a selection of accounts
- Other Websites related to Voltaire
Site maintained by Jack Iverson, Whitman College:
Created: September 1996 (University of Chicago; original address: http://humanities.uchicago.edu/homes/VSA )
Updates: December 1996; April, June 1997; September 1997, June 1998, March 1999; August 1999
Move to Whitman College: September 2005