|Date: 03/05/2012||Office/Department: Conferences and Events|
|Starting Wage: Housing & Meals in lieu of wages||Supervisor: Becky O'Connell-Osborn|
|Openings: No||Department Head: Barbara Maxwell|
NATURE OF EMPLOYMENT: The Conferences and Events Office arranges campus space and services for college sponsored events and campus rentals. During the summer, Coordinators are hired to work with event organizers to make arrangements for the facilities and resources that will be needed to make the event successful. Coordinators will be expected to serve as leaders for a team of conference aides in providing quality customer service. Coordinators are expected to be professional and approachable in all aspects of the job.
Sample TASK ASSIGNMENTS:
- Communicating with clients to coordinate facility/housing/resource requests
- Coordinating with other departments on campus as needed for access to and usage of facilities and resources
- Ensuring all spaces are cleaned, set-up and unlocked/locked as needed for guests
- Maintaining accurate records of facility/housing/resource usage
- Scheduling Summer Conference Aides
- Working with Conference & Events Director and Conference Coordinator to supervise summer conference aides
- Assisting with other aspects of summer conferencing as needed. May include:
- Housekeeping (including regular custodial duties such as garbage collection, vacuuming, deep cleaning, etc.)
- Registration desk support, including check-in and check-out for guests and assistance with personal belongings
- Residence hall preparation, including delivering linens and preparing beds
- Facility preparation, including moving and set up of tables and chairs and stage assembly/disassembly
- Supervision of residence halls and event sites
- Audio/visual set up and support
- General maintenance
- Office operations
- Van driving/shuttle services
- Special assignments and general assistance as needed
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
DURATION: Positions are offered from approximately May 20 through August 27, 2012. Additional work is available for students who wish to work through the start of classes. Coordinators will also work training hours in April and May and work includes Commencement Day.
WORK SCHEDULE: Labor hours will vary daily and employment will include work on Saturdays and Sundays. Employees will be scheduled for shifts that do not fall within the normal 8 a.m.-5 p.m. time period. Employee's work schedules may be adjusted within any week.
OTHER COMPENSATION: Employees will receive housing during the period of employment and meals in the Prentiss Dining Hall when meals are served to conference groups. This benefit carries the expectation of ensuring the proper use and respect of the College property and regulations by campus guests. (Conference Coordinators are strongly encouraged to live on-campus as part of employment.)
- Be able to effectively communicate (verbally and in writing) with staff and customers
- Be detail oriented and posses organizational skills
- Have familiarity with campus facilities and services
- Be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Have enthusiasm and the ability to motivate others
- Be able to work with and constructively supervise peers
- Be able to work with diverse people in a variety of often tense or difficult situations
- Possess a positive work attitude and project a professional appearance
- Be able to cope with diversified responsibility
- Be able to perform a variety of physical tasks such as lifting and walking. Requirements vary with the type of work area assigned.
- Because of the nature of this job, it is strongly recommended that coordinators do NOT hold additional employment. Additional work on campus through other campus departments will be subject to overtime rates as coordinators are paid for 40 hours per week. Your other employer will be responsible for overtime pay—check with them for their approval.
- Your Whitman employment includes important responsibilities and requires careful consideration with any personal, family, or community schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
STAFF TRAINING: You will be required to attend all sessions designated as training functions.
STAFF DEVELOPMENT: Opportunities planned to improve staff interaction, enhance communication, infuse energy and re-establish enthusiasm will be offered to benefit all. Your participation is encouraged.
EVALUATION: Work attitude, staff interaction, maintaining of work schedule and task performance will be periodically reviewed. Evaluation counseling will be performed as necessary.
The deadline to apply for the Conference Coordinator Position is 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 28, 2012.