Arts & Crafts Series Coordinator
|Date: 08/05/2011||Office/Department: Whitman Events Board (WEB)|
|Starting Wage: Minimum Wage||Supervisor: WEB|
|Openings: No||Department Head:|
Whitman College -Arts & Crafts Series Coordinator
The Arts and Crafts Series gives Whitman students a chance to expand their knowledge of different art and craft techniques through hands-on experience. The series occurs one to three times per month in the Reid Campus Center. At each workshop, a different art or craft is presented and then participants have the opportunity to practice the skill they have learned. Past workshops have included knitting, book-binding, pendant-making, and canvas bag decorating. The program is run by student coordinators who are responsible for generating workshop ideas, obtaining supplies for projects, and running workshops independently or with the help of a knowledgeable expert.
The Arts & Crafts Series is funded and supported by the Student Activities Office in the Reid Campus Center. We seek to provide our student staff with learning opportunities outside the classroom. We expect our student staff to participate in experiences that develop and demonstrate leadership, character, confidence and responsibility. We anticipate that our Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators will attain a level of competence in each of the following learning areas:
- Communication & Collaboration
- Self-Management & Appraisal
- Problem Solving & Critical Thinking
- Civic Engagement/Responsibility
- Event/Program Management
Communication & Collaboration
Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators must employ both written and verbal skills on a regular basis in order to successfully complete projects and must be proactive in forming positive collaborative relationships with a variety of individuals on and off campus. Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators will learn to:
- Correspond professionally with others to organize logistics related to specific events (i.e. artists and agents, campus offices, cosponsoring groups, group members, community, etc).
- Speak in a clear, direct, and constructive manner.
- Work effectively with others to formulate goals for both specific events and for the Arts & Crafts program.
Self-Management & Appraisal
Balance and self-reflection are critical to growth and learning as an Arts & Crafts Series Coordinator. Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators will learn to:
- Maintain personal health and wellness in potentially stressful environments.
- Prioritize commitments in a responsible manner (i.e. academic work, extra-curricular activities, personal time, etc) and employ time management skills.
- Reflect on and provide analysis of personal development and learning.
- Articulate and reflect on personal skills/abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.
Problem Solving and Critical Thinking
While Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators receive a great deal of training, it is not possible to discuss every possible situation that may arise, therefore Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators are expected to employ their knowledge of campus and program policies to make decisions and solve problems. Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators will learn to:
- Use discretion when dealing with liability, suitability, or matters of confidentiality.
- Diagnose problems, generate multiple solutions, and evaluate outcomes.
Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators must demonstrate responsibility and accountability in attending to all aspects of the Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators program and must look at overall themes and outcomes in order to make personal and programmatic improvements. Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators will learn to:
- Generate and assess project goals; reflect on overall outcomes at completion of projects.
- Evenly delegate responsibilities.
- Assess and provide critical analysis of individual programs and personal effectiveness.
Attentiveness to the needs of the local and global community is important in all aspects of campus programming. Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators in particular must generate programs that reflect the diverse nature of student interests and backgrounds. Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators will learn to:
- Develop programs to support community, social, and economic development.
- Work with a diverse range of people in a variety of situations.
- Generate programs to expose students to diversity, cultural differences, and global citizenship.
Managing details and logistics are critical components to running successful and sustainable Arts & Crafts Series events. Arts & Crafts Series Coordinators will learn to:
- Identify all aspects of planning a program/event and address event details in a timely manner.
- Develop, implement, monitor, and make adjustments to program budget based on funding.
- Maintain accurate and thorough documentation.