Student Academic Adviser
|Date: 08/02/2011||Office/Department: Academic Resources|
|Starting Wage: Stipend, Room & Board||Supervisor: Juli Dunn|
|Openings: No||Department Head: Director of Academic Resources|
Student Academic Adviser
Student Academic Advisers (SAs) are sophomore, junior, or senior students who are selected for their solid academic and personal accomplishments, then trained to become peer advisers. Each first-year student is assigned to a Student Academic Adviser and will interact with him or her throughout the semester. SAs live in first-year sections with their advisees, are extensively involved in residence hall programming, and are available for consulting throughout the semester. The most important job of the SA is to serve as an academic orientation aide, helping the student be acquainted with the academic programs, opportunities, and expectations found at Whitman. Once registration is over and the students are comfortably settled in their classes, the SAs are available to assist them with a host of academic questions and issues.
- Assist students with academic adjustment to Whitman.
- Help students to plan their schedule of classes.
- Provide academic advice when needed.
- Assist students in developing effective study strategies.
- Attend weekly SA staff meetings every Thursday from 4:00-5:30 p.m.
- Attend residence hall meetings as required by your Resident Director.
- Work cooperatively with the Residence Life and Academic Resource staff to plan and present academic workshops, talks and activities.
- Contact each student in the section for a preliminary advising appointment and a mid-semester interview.
- Publish one issue of the SA newsletter.
- Submit a weekly log.
TRAINED TO BE FAMILIAR WITH:
- Academic resources available at Whitman College
- Study strategies and academic information
- The College Catalog
- The Student Handbook, including College policies.
- Establish and maintain effective communication with the Director of Academic Resources, the Resident Director and section-mates
- Listen to and attend to the problems of student advisees.
- Undertake and carry forward the program goals.
Completion of two semesters at Whitman College with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.2 and in good standing with the College. [Note: First-year students are encouraged to apply, as they will have appropriate experience by the time of employment.]
Each SA will receive compensation of approximately $1,900.00 for the semester and will be housed in a single room if available, at no additional charge. Lyman SAs will be in a double room and must select a roommate.
We attempt to meet the housing preferences of all Student Academic Advisers, but it is not always possible to match each person's first choice in terms of residence hall, section, or type of room desired. We ask applicants to list their preferences, and we will make an effort to fulfill them. Applicants should be aware, however, that we cannot guarantee a specific hall or type of room.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants must submit an application and letters of recommendation to the Academic Resource Center on the designated date. Applications will be available in January. Applicants must be available for both individual and group interviews. All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee's decision prior to Spring Break.