|Date: 01/23/2012||Office/Department: Pioneer|
|Starting Wage:||Supervisor: Pioneer Publisher|
|Openings: No||Department Head:|
The Pioneer strives to produce professional, high-quality content for our readers’ each week. Yet as with any publication, spelling and grammar errors, typos and other glitches are bound two pop up, and thats where our eagle-eyed copy editors swoop in to save the day. Copy editors ensure the correct usage of Associated Press (AP) style throughout the paper, scour articles for clarity and readability, and are not afraid to make corrections others miss. The ideal candidates will be strong writers able to spot a run-on sentence, improper apostrophe or Oxford comma a mile away. Familiarity with AP style and Adobe InDesign is recommended but not required.
Note: just for fun, the above paragraph contains five common copy-editing mistakes. Find and circle each one and note the problem.
Copy editors complete two rounds of editing, first after articles are initially submitted for review and again during production after all content has been laid out. The first round of editing takes place over the course of Sunday through Monday afternoon. Copy editors must be available on Wednesday evenings for production.
Please email a word document with your responses to email@example.com. Applications accepted on a rolling basis; final deadline is midnight on Sunday, September 9, 2012.
Returning staff: Please fill out the contact/payroll information and answer the following questions only: Why do you want to continue working for The Pioneer, and/or what is a goal you have for the coming semester?
Phone number (cell preferred):
(These questions are for payroll purposes only and will not affect your application.)
In-state: yes no
Work-study yes no
- Please describe in detail any prior editing or writing experience. Have you previously worked on a newspaper or similar publication? In what capacity?
- Why are you interested in the copy editor position? What would make you a good choice for copy editor?
- Are you familiar with AP style?
- Do you have any experience using Adobe InDesign?
- What other activities will you be involved in for the fall ’12 semester? How much of a weekly time commitment would you be willing to make to The Pioneer?
Please attach a one to two-page sample of journalistic or academic writing.
******DO NOT CLICK ON THE "APPLY FOR THIS JOB" LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS JOB DESCRIPTION*****