GLBTQ Student Intern
|Date: 08/12/2011||Office/Department: Intercultural Center 2|
|Starting Wage: $9.00 Hour||Supervisor: Jed Schwendiman|
|Openings: No||Department Head:|
***This position is for the 2009-2010 academic year***
GLBTQ Student Intern
GLBTQ has over a 25-year history of creating a community and social network for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and questioning students, staff, faculty, and alumni of Whitman College. The group is seeking 2-3 student interns to begin in the fall semester of 2009.The GLBTQ student interns will work out of the new Intercultural Center House and will hold office hours there as well as facilitate club events and activities. The students selected will be those who demonstrate initiative, relate well to a wide variety of students, are involved in the Whitman community, and are willing to be public representatives of GLBTQ at Whitman. The intern positions are funded for 4-6 hours per week during the academic year. Primary responsibilities include:
- Working as a member of the Intercultural Center student intern team.
- Planning, developing and implementing group activities
- Organizational tasks (sending meeting reminders, updating the website, managing the listserv, advertising the Nord Award, and organizing various other annual GLBTQ events)
- Serving as a contact person for students and holding drop in office hours in the new Intercultural Center House.
- Assessing the changing needs of the group
GLBTQ interns meet weekly with the GLBTQ advisor. Together they work to foster a strong, welcoming, supportive community for queer students, staff, faculty and alumni at Whitman College. The GLBTQ interns also report to the Intercultural Center.
To apply follow these steps:
1) write an application letter addressing:
- your interest in the position and qualities that you bring to the position
- your impression of the most important needs of the queer community at Whitman
- ideas for your goals as a GLBTQ student intern and how you intend to accomplish them
- areas you would like to have additional training in to be an effective GLBTQ student intern
2) send your letter electronically (or via campus mail) to: Jed Schwendiman, GLBTQ advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Thursday, April 23, 2009. The selection process will consist of a review of the written applications and an interview.
****DO NOT CLICK ON THE "APPLY FOR THIS JOB" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT****