Men's Soccer suffers second straight OT loss

News Release Date:
Saturday, October 13, 2012

Seattle, Wash.- The Whitman Men's Soccer team just can't seem to catch a break. Playing with the support of W Club tailgaters, the Missionaries lost to in overtime for the second game in a row to the PLU Lutes, 1-0. The game was Whitman's sixth overtime contest this season that has seen its share of ups and downs.

Michael Bathurst, Sr.

Whitman struggled early on, surrendering five shots on goal in the first ten minutes. Fortunately for the Missionaries, senior goalkeeper Michael Bathurst (Portland, OR) was up to the task. All told, Bathurst tallied ten saves in the first thirty minutes to keep the score knotted at 0-0. Said Head Coach Mike Washington, "Bathurst had a great first half today. We did not play so well in the first half, but he kept us in it."

With Bathurst keeping the score tied, Whitman slowly began to turn the momentum. Early in the second half, the Whit men took six shots (two on frame), and earned four corner kicks, but in the 67th minute, Whitman's Jed Jacobsen (Mercer Island, WA) got sent off for his second yellow card, which swung the momentum back towards the Lutes.

Leland Matthaeus, Sr.

Despite playing a man down, Whitman still managed to generate more opportunities than PLU. Though they "outplayed the opposition for much of the rest of the game," they couldn't find the back of the net, and the game went on to overtime, but not before PLU's Paul Boscole was sent off for a red card in the 90th-minute, leveling the playing field once again for the extra session.

PLU finally broke through when Shane Gutierrez managed to put a ball through the Whitman defense, and found Derek Johnson on the left wing. After a quick touch put the ball on his favored right foot, he fired the winning shot past Brathurst, making Whitman the victim of a last-second goal for the second game in a row.

Pacific Lutheran outshot Whitman 17-12 on the day, though the Missionaries had five more shots than the Lutes in the second frame. Leading Whitman on the day was senior Leland Matthaeus (Redmond, WA) with four shots, though he didn't put any on the frame. Junior defenseman Jack Morgan (Bellingham, WA) had three shots and put two shots on goal for Whitman, while sophomore forward Bill Landefeld (Kennewick, WA) added two more.

The win improve PLU's conference record to 6-1-1, good for second in the conference with a game against conference-leading Whitworth scheduled for tomorrow morning. The loss drops Whitman to 4-8-2 (2-5-1 in the conference), as the hard-luck Missionaries have yet to drop a game by more than one goal. Now sitting in 6th place in the conference, the Missionaries will look to rebound tomorrow against Puget Sound, who they beat 2-1 in double overtime last weekend at home.