|Date: 02/08/2012||Office/Department: Sustainability|
|Starting Wage: $10/hour||Supervisor: Rachna Sinnott|
|Openings: No||Department Head:|
SUSTAINABILITY COORDINATOR STUDENT INTERN
(10-12 hours per week during academic year)
In collaboration with the Sustainability Advisory Committee, the Campus Sustainability Coordinator works to further sustainability efforts across campus. The primary purpose of the coordinator is to develop, implement, and maintain a long term campus sustainability vision. The Sustainability Coordinator reports directly to the Chair of the Sustainability Advisory Committee and serves as the primary contact and resource for campus conservation and sustainability initiatives.
1. Serve as a liaison between college administration and existing campus groups & clubs working on conservation and sustainability (e.g. Sustainability Advisory Committee, Campus Climate Challenge, Environmental House, Organic Garden, Recycling Program, etc...)
2. Serve as a member and resource for the Sustainability Advisory Committee.
3. Evaluate and assess current practices related to sustainability in all campus operations.
4. Assist campus offices and departments in establishing and implementing short- and long-range campus sustainability goals, objectives, and priorities; help design systems to monitor and evaluate effectiveness; effect changes required for improvement.
5. Identify, evaluate and assist in implementing cost-effective changes to campus policies and operating procedures that will result in conservation of resources (financial, energy, paper, water, etc...).
6. Work with campus departments and offices to gather and compile campus records (news, data, reports, statistical information) related to conservation and sustainability efforts.
7. Assist with administration and serve on the committee for the "Sustainability Revolving Loan Fund."
8. Network with other colleges and universities. Seek out best practices & funding opportunities for campus sustainability efforts.
9. Maintain and enhance the Whitman Sustainability Website and Sustainability Wiki. Contribute to and review external reports and ratings on sustainability efforts in collaboration with Institutional Research and Communications.
10. Serve on other college committees, as needed, and complete other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Highly motivated, pragmatic, and diplomatic in working with others.
- Able to work cooperatively, collaboratively and effectively with all members of the campus community.
- Strong organizational, research, and communication skills.
- Willingness to learn to update web pages using content management software with training provided.
- Understanding of cost-benefit and basic data analysis preferred.
A minimum of one year active participation and experience with campus environmental groups (e.g. Sustainability Advisory Committee, Campus Climate Challenge). Course work in Environmental Studies and relevant internship preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Preference will be given to an applicant who is available to make a minimum of 1 year commitment to the position.
For best consideration, e-mail a cover letter, resume, and names and phone numbers of two references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
***DO NOT HIT THE "APPLY FOR THIS JOB" BUTTON AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN***
Whitman College is building a diverse academic community and encourages minorities, women and persons with disabilities to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Applications due by February 24.