Women's Tennis Drops Opener to L-C State on the Road
News Release Date:
Saturday, February 2
Lewiston, Idaho – The seventh-ranked Warriors defeated the Missionaries 6 – 3 today in the first match of the spring team season for Whitman.
Courtney Lawless, So.
L-C State took a 2 – 1 advantage after doubles, the Whitman team of Morgan Lawless (So, Austin, TX) and Jenna Dobrin (Fr, Camarillo, CA) grabbing the lone Missionary victory with an 8 – 3 decision over Florencia Martina and Bryn Oliveira. “They played a great match”, said Head Coach John Hein. “They had a great sense of where the other one was on the court.”
Madison Webster, So.
In singles, Courtney Lawless (So, Austin, TX) won at the No. 1 slot, defeating Dorothy Chong 6 – 3, 6 – 0. Madison Webster (So, Long Beach, CA) came from behind to beat Bryn Oliveira 4 – 6, 7 – 5, 6 – 4 at the number three spot. “Maddy was so mentally tough and stayed composed throughout the match”, noted Hein. “She was just as strong at the end of the match as she was at the start.”
Kate Kunkel-Patterson (Sr, Yakima, WA) battled Deanri Human at number four, losing the first set in a 9 – 7 tiebreaker, before running out of gas and dropping the second set 6 – 2.
Coach Hein was pleased with the outing even though it did not end with a “W”. “We played a full line-up. We really wanted everyone to compete, and the way we competed is the way we want to compete throughout the season.”
The Missionaries return to Walla Walla to host the Whitman Winter Classic (Thurs. – Sun.) at the Bratton Tennis Center. Whitman will compete against three teams ranked in the region’s top ten.
Below are the complete results from today’s match.
Lewis Clark State 6, Whitman 3
1. Courtney Lawless, W def. Dorothy Chong, LC, 6-3, 6-0.
2. Livia Blasque, LC def. Jenna Dobrin, W, 6-3, 6-2.
3. Maddy Webster, W def. Bryn Oliveira, LC, 4-6, 7-5, 6-4.
4. Deanri Human, LC def. Kate Kunkel-Patterson, W, 7-6, 6-2.
5. Florencia Martina, LC def. Kate Rubinstein, 6-4, 6-1.
6. Rye Hewett, LC def. Katrina Alleck, W, 6-4, 6-1.
1. Dorothy Chong-Livia Blasque, LC def. Courtney Lawless-Alyssa Roberg, W, 8-5.
2. Morgan Lawless-Jenna Dobrin, W def. Florencia Martina-Bryn Oliveira, LC, 8-3.
3. Deanri Human-Rye Hewett, LC def. Kate Kunkel-Patterson-Erin Minuth, W, 8-5.
Whitman Sports Information Director