|Date: 11/11/2011||Office/Department: Outdoor Program|
|Starting Wage: Minimum Wage||Supervisor: Outdoor Rental Shop Manager|
|Openings: No||Department Head: Outdoor Program Director|
The Bike Mechanic is responsible for running and maintaining the bike shop within the Outdoor Program Rental shop. Direct responsibilities include 1)performing bike repair for Whitman College students, faculty and staff; 2) providing information on equipment use and safety; 3) assuming additional responsibilities as necessary; and 5) supporting the programs and functions of the Outdoor Program.
- Perform bicycle repairs and other maintenance as needed.
- Be available to help students fix their bicycles.
- Fill weekly shop hours for walk-in customers 2 nights per week.
- Care and maintenance of all bike shop tools.
- Manage materials for resale (bike tubes, patch kits, tires, etc)
- Keep inventory of bike shop supplies and order new supplies as needed.
- Advertise bike services and hours.
- Maintain a clean working environment.
- Attend scheduled training sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Uphold all policies of the Outdoor Program and Outdoor Rental Shop.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Cycling and repair experience required.
- Knowledge of a variety of bicycles including but not limited to road bikes and mountain bikes.
- Possess bicycle repair skills and have ability to use bicycle tools properly and safely.
- Experience working at another bike shop preferred.
- Knowledge of local riding area helpful.
- Be up to date on the latest changes and developments in cycling.
- Ability to move and lift equipment weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with staff and customers.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work schedules
- Enthusiasm for cycling.
- Flexible schedule.
- An ability to function on the job with limited supervision
- An ability to project, promote, and maintain a helpful, customer service outlook
- A familiarity with the Outdoor Rental Shop and Outdoor Program.
- A willingness to make a commitment to the position for at least one academic year and possibly longer.
APPLICATION FILING PERIODS
The Outdoor Rental Shop accepts applications for employment at the end of each semester.
OUTDOOR RENTAL SHOP
BIKE MECHANIC APPLICATION
We request that you provide a cover letter addressing the following questions and any other pertinent information. Also include a current resume along with one letter of reference.
Year in School: Phone:
The following application qualifies you for consideration as Outdoor Rental Shop Bike Mechanic. Please answer all questions to the best of your ability on a separate sheet of paper.
1) Why would you like to be the Outdoor Rental Shop bike mechanic?
2) What skills and experience do you bring to this position?
2) How do you plan to balance your duties as Bike Mechanic with academic and campus commitments?
3) Please describe your cycling and any bike repair experience that you may have.
4) In what areas do you demonstrate working knowledge of bicycles?
5) Explain your familiarity with the local biking area.
6) What additional qualifications can you bring to this position?
Please return this application to:
Whitman College Outdoor Rental Shop
Reid Campus Center