|Date: 08/29/2012||Office/Department: Library|
|Starting Wage: $9.00/hour||Supervisor: Archivist and Special Collections Librarian|
|Openings: No||Department Head:|
Whitman College and Northwest Archives Student Assistants play a critical role in the day to day operations of the Archives. They support both the Archivist and Special Collections Librarian and the Archives Assistant by serving as back-up reading room supervisors, performing clerical tasks, co-authoring and encoding finding aids, and assisting with preservation, conservation, digitization, and outreach projects. The position requires good communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to work both collaboratively and independently, and basic computer skills.
(1) Serve as back-up reading room supervisor (meet and greet patrons, answer phone calls, answer basic reference questions, monitor patron use of collections).
(2) Perform clerical work (fill photocopy requests, collate and staple handouts, tally reference and reading room statistics).
(4) Assist with preservation and conservation projects (preservation photocopying, housing books, pamphlets, and periodicals in proper storage containers, sleeving photographs).
(5) Contribute to digitization projects (assign control numbers to items in collections, scan materials according to project quality control standards, optimize digital images for Web display).
(6) In consultation with the Archivist and Special Collections Librarian, conceptualize, research, and create displays interpreting archival and manuscript collections.
(7) Perform other duties as assigned.
"Preference will be given to work study eligible students."
(1) Current Whitman College student.
(2) Interest in regional, local or Whitman College history.
(3) Experience with Microsoft Word required; experience with Microsoft Excel and Photoshop a plus.
(4) Must be detail oriented and capable of completing repetitive tasks accurately and efficiently.
(5) Must be able to interact pleasantly with archives patrons.
To apply for a Penrose Library job you must submit the Library job application and student schedule forms provided below this message. SUBMIT BOTH THE STUDENT APPLICATION AND THE STUDENT SCHEDULE FORMS TO firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on LIBRARY APPLICATION to fill out form.
CLICK HERE FOR THE STUDENT SCHEDULE LINK.