|Date: 08/07/2012||Office/Department: Communications|
|Starting Wage: Min. Wage||Supervisor: Gillian Frew|
|Openings: No||Department Head: Assistant Vice President of Communications|
To assist communications staff with the development, writing, proofing and distribution of news, communications and media relations materials.
- Write basic press releases for student “hometowners” (stories about student activities and achievements sent to their hometown newspapers) as assigned.
- Send hometowner press releases to relevant newspapers.
- Assist with other press releases and media relations tasks as assigned.
- Handle a variety of clerical assignments, including filing of press releases, maintaining the media list as well as maintenance of office files.
- Search for and file Whitman news clips and maintain clip collection.
- Assist with the Whitman magazine and other publications projects, including conducting research, making contacts and proofing.
- Compile and/or post event listings for various sources, including The Fountain, Whitman Web site, external media sites, etc.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to write well. Some knowledge and/or experience with basic journalism is desirable.
- Ability to work independently.
- Well-developed organizational skills.
- Reliable, able to take responsibility for the job.
- Excellent people skills, able to deal comfortably with faculty and students on behalf of the office.
- Attention to accuracy.
- Basic computer and Web navigation skills.
- Must be eligible for work study.
Please submit resume and two writing samples to Gillian Frew, Media Relations Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org