Graduate and Professional School
Why Graduate School?
Graduate School can be an excellent way to further your academic and professional interests after Whitman. Whether you are interested in applying as an undergraduate or as a Whitman alumni the Student Engagemeent Center has a variety of resources available to help you pursue graduate and professional degrees in a wide variety of fields and disciplines. You can do a number of things to improve your candidacy and to select the programs that best meet your needs and desires. See our Graduate School Guide for tips and timelines for the application process.
Events: Graduate and professional school representatives often come to Whitman to recruit, so watch the student listserv for email announcements about these opportunities. The SEC also hosts an annual Grad School Fair every fall semester - see last year's here.
Advising: As always, advising is available on your graduate and professional school options at the Student Engagement Center. Call us at 509-527-5183, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or come by Reid Campus Center, Room 219, to make an appointment.
Deciding if you want to go to Graduate School:
- Should you go to Graduate School? - 20 Reasons why you should, and 15 reasons why you shouldn't. Petersons writes an informative article on the pros and cons of investing in graduate education.
- Why go to Grad School? - Gradschools.com, "the #1 grad school directory on the planet", puts their support behind grad school with this compelling article.
- Ask 7 Questions Before Applying to Graduate School - A former dean expresses the importance of premeditating the decision to apply.
Paying for Graduate School:
- FinAid.org - A great website for everything from grants to graduate school funding resources.
- SimpleTuition.com - See how borrowing impacts you financially.
- PLATO Loan Program - Scholarship and funding information for college students.
- FastWeb.com - Free website listing over $3.4 billion in scholarships.
- Grant Forward - Search education funding opportunities.
- Whitman College - Office of Fellowships and Grants - Learn how Fellowships and Grants can help fund graduate school.
Other Helpful Links:
- Guide to Graduate Study in the United States
- Peterson's Education Center - A great resource for identifying graduate programs.
- GradSchools.com - General information for researching graduate programs.
- Princeton Review's Guide to Grad Schools - Explore careers, research schools, and review practice graduate exams.
- U.S. News and World Report Graduate School Rankings - U.S. News analyzed more than 12,000 programs for this year's rankings. (Keep in mind that a high ranking does not mean that the school will be the best match for you.)
- The Black Collegian Online - Information About Graduate Study and Fellowships Opportunities, Graduate Admissions, Degree and Majors Decisions, Resources for African-American Masters and PhD Students, and More!
- Business Degrees Online - A comprehensive directory of both online and campus-based professional degree and certificate programs from accredited colleges and universities across the US.
- Findthebest - Sort and compare schools by acceptance rate, GMAT scores, and many other customizable fields.
- Online PHD Programs - A comprehensive web directory of doctorate programs around the country.