*NEW!* Queer Mentoring Program
Thanks for checking out Whitman GLBTQ's new Queer Mentoring Program!
GLBTQ is connecting Whitman Students (mentees) who are exploring their sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression with queer Whitman students, faculty, and staff (mentors) who understand, can relate to, and have tips for living a happy and queer life.
In this program, mentors and mentees:
- Are matched based on identites, interests, and goals
- Meet every other week
- Talk about intricacies in coming out to friends, family, at Whitman, and in their professional life
- Explore their GLBT and Queer identities
- Build their queer community
- Learn to navigate the queer scene at Whitman College and Walla Walla area
- Develop a confidential relationship
How this works:
1) Submit your applications by 9/11/14, 10pm
2) Mentors are required to have a mandatory training on: 9/13/14 6pm-8pm
3) GLBTQ interns will individually interview with all mentees week of 9/12-9/16
4) GLBTQ interns will have mentor and mentees matched by: 9/17
5) GLBTQ interns will schedule a time where mentors and mentees first meet and sign agreements.
6) Look out for special Queer Mentor Program events for mentees and mentors!
Mentees and mentors who sign up commit to:
- Meeting every other week for one semester.
- Keeping a confidential relationship (based on agreements)
- A gooooood time!
Mentors who sign up commit to:
- Attending the mandatory Mentor training on 9/13/14 6pm-8pm
- Mentors must have been studying/working/teaching at Whitman for 2+ semesters
Mentees who sign up commit to:
- Coming in to one short 15 minute interview before the matching process begins
- Anyone can sign up to be a mentee! (freshman, soph, jr., sr., staff, faculty, etc.)