Purpose of the Doorswipe
The doorswipes have been installed on campus to allow people access to facilities on campus without having to carry a key for each door. These devices read the magnetic strip on the back of your Campus ID card and communicate with the cardswipe server to determine if you can open that particular door.
This is accomplished partially through a schedule on the server that tells the door whether it is just open, requires a card to open, or just locked. If the door is requiring a card then it will only open the door if your card has been assigned the "privilege" to open that door.
Operating States of a Doorswipe
There are four states that you will find a doorswipe in when you approach it.
- Control State. This is indicated by the small light on the bottom being on and the other three being off. When the doorswipe is in this state you will need to use your Campus ID card to open the door.
- Open State. This is indicated by the Green Light in the upper group being constantly on. When it is in this state the door is in effect unlocked and you only need to push it open.
- Locked State. This is indicated by the Red Light in the upper group being constantly on. When it is in this state the door is locked and won't open with a card.
- Off. This is indicated by the lack of any lights on on the swipe. This usually indicates that someone has physically turned the swipe off. When it is in this state the doorswipe is no longer controlling the door and your card will have no effect on it.
Swiping Your Card Through a Doorswipe
When you run your card through a doorswipe when it is in Control State there will be one of three results.
- Accepted. This is indicated by the Green Light in the upper group lighting when your card is run through the doorswipe. You will usually hear the click of the electric strike when this happens and the door will be momentarily unlocked so that you can push it open.
- Reread. This is indicated by the Yellow Light in the upper group lighting when your card is run through the doorswipe. This indicates that the doorswipe is having problems reading your card. Make sure your card is clean, inserted the right way, and try swiping the card again. If it continues to give this indication contact Bon Appetit or Technology Services to get your card checked.
- Rejected. This is indicated by the Red Light in the upper group lighting when your card is run through the doorswipe. This indicates that your card hasn't been assigned the privilege for that doorswipe. You will need to contact whoever is in charge of the doorswipe to get your card added to the privilege.
These are the current doorswipes on campus. The ones you will have access to will depend on your card's classification. See the classification section on the Campus ID Card page.
- Bratton Tennis Center Entrance
- Dance Lab Entrance
- Douglas Hall Entrances
- Music Building Entrance
- Music Technology Lab
- Hunter Conservatory Back Door and Elevator Entrances
- Hunter Multi-Media Lab
- Library Entrance
- Maxey Hall
- Memorial Hall
- Olin Hall
- Olin Computer Lab
- Olin Math Lab
- Prentiss Dining Entrance
- Reid Center Stairwell
- Reid Center Darkroom
- Reid Center Resource Room
- Science Entrance
- Science Room 127 General Lab
- Science Room 225 Physics Lab
- Science Room 258 Physics Lab
- Science Room 406 Greenhouse
- Sherwood Center Entrance